Big batch #75

So I have been brewing for 2.5 years now, and my next batch will be batch #75. So I am thinking of doing a big hop monster of a double ipa. Here is what I have so far. Haven’t decided on the dry hop yeah, but thinking in the 4-8oz range. So will have at least an pound of hops.

any suggestions?

75th Double IPA
Imperial IPA

Recipe Specs

Batch Size (G): 6.0
Total Grain (lb): 16.000
Total Hops (oz): 12.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.080 (°P): 19.3
Final Gravity (FG): 1.014 (°P): 3.6
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 8.69 %
Colour (SRM): 8.0 (EBC): 15.8
Bitterness (IBU): 134.1 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 75
Boil Time (Minutes): 90

Grain Bill

9.000 lb Maris Otter Malt (56.25%)
4.000 lb Pale Ale Malt (25%)
1.500 lb Cane Sugar (9.38%)
1.000 lb Munich I (6.25%)
0.500 lb Carared (3.12%)

Hop Bill

1.00 oz Chinook Pellet (11.4% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (First Wort) (0.2 oz/Gal)
2.00 oz Columbus Pellet (14.2% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.3 oz/Gal)
1.00 oz Chinook Pellet (11.4% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil) (0.2 oz/Gal)
2.00 oz Imperial IPA Amarillo/Centennial/Simcoe Blend Pellet (9% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (0.3 oz/Gal)
2.00 oz Imperial IPA Amarillo/Centennial/Simcoe Blend Pellet (9% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil) (0.3 oz/Gal)
2.00 oz Imperial IPA Amarillo/Centennial/Simcoe Blend Pellet (9% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil) (0.3 oz/Gal)
2.00 oz Imperial IPA Amarillo/Centennial/Simcoe Blend Pellet (9% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Aroma) (0.3 oz/Gal)

Misc Bill

Single step Infusion at 150°F for 90 Minutes.
Fermented at 65°F with WLP001 - California Ale

Notes

Last two additions. First at flameout, second after wort below 170 then 20min hopstand.

Why not shoot for an OG of 1.075? Otherwise, it does look like a good hopmonster.

I was actually leaning towards that at first. may back it down some.

may just split the difference, cut the maris otter by half a pound and hit 1.078.

I’d suggest adding the sugar around day 2-3 of fermentation. Otherwise the yeast will get lazy and eat the simple sugar first and you will wind up with a sweetish beer (one of my pet peeves for IIPA’s).

Boil around 1Q of water, add the sugar, mix, let it cool, then add to the actively fermenting fermenter.

BTW. Dang! I’ve been brewing for 3.5 years and am planning my big 5-0…though I did have a year when I pretty much didn’t brew due to an ill-advised idea to go to law school part-time.

[quote=“Pietro”]I’d suggest adding the sugar around day 2-3 of fermentation. Otherwise the yeast will get lazy and eat the simple sugar first.

Boil around 1Q of water, add the sugar, mix, let it cool, then add to the actively fermenting fermenter.[/quote]

that was the plan. I never add my simple sugars to the boil. Just left them in to get the math.

Is the Munich I a crystal malt? Otherwise it might be pretty dry for an IPA. 9% would be about right.

Haven’t heard of the IPa blend pellets before. Used that combo (with one or two others) quite a bit, to good effect.

[quote=“muddywater_grant”][quote=“Pietro”]I’d suggest adding the sugar around day 2-3 of fermentation. Otherwise the yeast will get lazy and eat the simple sugar first.

Boil around 1Q of water, add the sugar, mix, let it cool, then add to the actively fermenting fermenter.[/quote]

that was the plan. I never add my simple sugars to the boil. Just left them in to get the math.[/quote]

The only issue with that is that it will decrease your utilization for calculating your IBU’s. Not really a big issue here since you’re already well over 100 IBU’s, but something to keep in mind for lower IBU brews.

[quote=“tom sawyer”]Is the Munich I a crystal malt? Otherwise it might be pretty dry for an IPA. 9% would be about right.

Haven’t heard of the IPa blend pellets before. Used that combo (with one or two others) quite a bit, to good effect.[/quote]

No Munich is not a crystal.

And I’m blending the hops. Just programmed a name and average IBU to enter in easily. I’m just doing equal parts of those three hops to equal 2oz at each point.

So using maris otter and munich? And almost no crystal? Seems a little unusual for a dipa recipe. I do like both those base malts separately.

Yes, I don’t care for a sweet finishing IPA or double. I like them dryer. Pliny for example has a similar crystal percentage.

Using the Munich to get some more color, but still higher fermentability.

[quote=“muddywater_grant”]Yes, I don’t care for a sweet finishing IPA or double. I like them dryer. Pliny for example has a similar crystal percentage.

Using the Munich to get some more color, but still higher fermentability.[/quote]

I agree. I’m also planning a 2IPA in the next few weeks to put a dent in last year’s hops. I ordered too much (if there were such a thing)! I do like the addition of the carared — I don’t think it’s used enough. I always like to put a quarter pound or so of special b in my ipas for color. Using such a small quantity doesn’t leave too much residual sweetness.

BTW — I like the sugar addition!

I can’t wait to try this beer. It is fermenting great, going to add the sugar addition tomorrow night. Going to go with 1.25#, which will get me up to 1.080. I really want to finish below 1.015. So somewhere in the 8.5-9.% range.

Sidenote, I have never had a airlock smell like a bad of hops. But this one does. Hop flavored co2.

Update: so after the sugar addition, dropped to 1.012. Think it may drop maybe a point or so more. But perfectly fine if it stalls right here. 8.9% is pretty respectful for a double IPA.

Congrats on #75 and this tasty sounding hop monster!

Thanks I am really quite excited about this one. Was a little worried about getting a beer this big to dry out and ferment down to where I wanted it, but everything seems to have gone perfect. It taste amazing from the sample and only 6 days old. A little alcohol heat, but that is to be expected. I think that will go away over the never couple weeks by the time I finish dry hopping it and kegging it.