Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

BIAB Starter with Scottish Ale Yeast

I am planning a Scotch ale and 60 Schilling partigyle brew for Black Friday. I would rather be brewing than joining the mindless shopping zombies.

Any time I brew a beer around 1.100 I tend to make a 3 gallon brew in a bag beer as my starter. Given that I am using Wyeast 1726 or White labs WLP026 yeast, what simple beer should I make as my starter? I am contemplating an Irish Red or possibly an Old Ale. Any other ideas? Does anyone have reliable recipe to share?

Dan

[quote=“CTDan”]I am planning a Scotch ale and 60 Schilling partigyle brew for Black Friday. I would rather be brewing than joining the mindless shopping zombies.

Any time I brew a beer around 1.100 I tend to make a 3 gallon brew in a bag beer as my starter. Given that I am using Wyeast 1726 or White labs WLP026 yeast, what simple beer should I make as my starter? I am contemplating an Irish Red or possibly an Old Ale. Any other ideas? Does anyone have reliable recipe to share?
Dan[/quote]

Well personally, I’d go with the Irish Red or a good Bitter rather than an Old Ale if you’re looking to end up with 3 gal of something that will be ready to drink sooner while the Scotch Ale is undergoing it’s own proper aging.

Tastes vary, as do levels of patience, but personally speaking I only make Old Ale or Scotch/Wee Heavy ales if they can be left to age properly (usually for at least 6-8 months, and ideally longer).

[quote=“The Professor”][quote=“CTDan”]I am planning a Scotch ale and 60 Schilling partigyle brew for Black Friday. I would rather be brewing than joining the mindless shopping zombies.

Dan[/quote]

Well personally, I’d go with the Irish Red or a good Bitter rather than an Old Ale if you’re looking to end up with 3 gal of something that will be ready to drink sooner while the Scotch Ale is undergoing it’s own proper aging.

Tastes vary, as do levels of patience, but personally speaking I only make Old Ale or Scotch/Wee Heavy ales if they can be left to age properly (usually for at least 6-8 months, and ideally longer).[/quote]

I am not too worried about immediate needs. I just bottled a batch of pale ale, have a dozen or so bottles from recent brews, and will also have the 60 shilling, assuming all goes well.

Patience is a virtue. I don’t mind brewing 3 gallons of old ale and letting it sit in a box for a year or two.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com