BIAB accident

I brewed the NB BIAB oatmeal cookie brown ale and I misread the instructions and didn’t reallize it until I was almost done. Instead of adding the grains into kettlle lined bag, adjusting temp and then removing bag and lettinng site for 75 minuutes,

Instead I left the bag of grains in for 75 minutes at the right temp. Is this OK or will something get srewed up. It’s a prretty deep dark, thick wort. Thanks

Nevermind I actually did do it correctly.

when i added my dry yeast, I put it through a funel which had a screen. After I put the yeast in there were some yeast paticles stuck in the filter. Is this OK? Or did I just filter out all of the yeast? Thanks

You are fine.

Yeast are about 5 to 10 micrometers in diameter. A coffee filter is about 20 micrometers. Plenty of yeast will have made it into the brew even if you used a very fine filter.

Brewing is always a learning experience.

Clarify - did you boil with the grains in?

Was wondering myself, the original post was not very clear. “The ballot was confusing!”

I actually did follow the BIAB instructions. I reread the instrucctions after I was done and misread it and thought messed it but that part went OK.

I did have another problem. I had a short thermometer in the brew kettle and I think it was reading correctly for most of the 75 minutes of holding at 152 degrees. But towards the end the temp kept droppping and we kept adding heat. Later we realized that the water had absorbed into the grain and the thermometer wasn’t in the wort correctly… By the time realized this we stirred the mash and the temp was actually over 200 degrees. Not sure how long we were incorrectlly heat, probaably 30 mins. Is this OK.

Later I added the yeast which was DANSTAR NOTTINGHAM ALE dry yeast which I’ve never used before and has confusing instructions. I added the yeast through the funnel with a filter screen but sounds like that is not a problem. I OG was 1.06 which was what is supposed to be.

But its been 3 full days and there have been no signs of fermentation at all. I havent’ taken a another graavity reading yet. Should I bother or is it pretty obvious nothing is happening.

If its not fermenting can I just add some yeast and try to start it? What liguid yeast would be good that is similar to the nottingham ale? Liquiid is must easier to use. My local homebreew store doesn’t have the Neobritainia which the kit recommends. So I’'d like to not order in the mail and have it be damaged. Thank you very much!!!

[quote=“crud99”]I
By the time realized this we stirred the mash and the temp was actually over 200 degrees. Not sure how long we were incorrectlly heat, probaably 30 mins. Is this OK.

But its been 3 full days and there have been no signs of fermentation at all. I havent’ taken a another graavity reading yet. Should I bother or is it pretty obvious nothing is happening.

If its not fermenting can I just add some yeast and try to start it? What liguid yeast would be good that is similar to the nottingham ale? Liquiid is must easier to use. [/quote]

No - it is not really ideal, but not much you can do about it now. We have all done similar things - just watch for it better next time.

What are you fermenting in? How do you know it is not fermenting? Did you cool your wort after the boil? How cool did you get it before putting yeast in?

You can repitch yeast - but I would use dry yeast if you do. Dry is a lot easier, not liquid. There is a lot more yeast in a pack of dry than there is a vial/pouch of liquid yeast.

Is this one of those joke threads? Really… you can tell us :lol:

After 2.5 weeks in frermenting in my Primary I did a FG reading and it around 1.035 and the OG was 1.06. I was right on target for OG but FG is really bad. Under 4 % which is bad. Someone else did this kit was around 6%.

Can I repitch any dry yeast or do you have to repitch the same yeast I used the nottingham yeast which had very confusing directions. I would like to just use a smack pack if I can or any easty to use dry yeast. Any suggestions on something for a oatmeal brown ale BIAB kit.

Thanks you soooooo much!!!