Betterbottle vs Glass

I know this has probably been discussed. I can’t decide so I will go with the Poll results Saturday!

Buckets are my go to fermentor, but I use some BB’s for secondary, when I do it. I’ve heard too many stories of broken carboys and ER visits.

Doesn’t make a whole lot of difference, pick what you think would be best for you. I regularly use better bottles mostly because they are way lighter and easy to handle. I do have a couple grass carboys too. Usually for long term aging. They can with my original kit so… I too worry about them breaking since it has happened to me.

Some people worry about scratching the better bottles when they clean them, giving bacteria a place to hide. Like many I get around that by filling the carboy with water and Oxyclean (or PBW) and letting sit overnight. Works like a charm. I think in 3 years I only had one stubborn carboy that took two cleanings. :cheers:

I’m a Better Bottle person, too. I primarily use them for long-term aging; all my fermenting’s done in buckets.

The whole scratching thing has never worried me; I feel like if there’s any real chance of the inside getting scratched it’s because you’re doing something seriously wrong. I am impatient about cleaning, though. Instead of soaking stubborn crud overnight, I put a piece of terrycloth in there and shake. Carboy’s usually clean within half a minute.

[quote=“bunderbunder”]I’m a Better Bottle person, too. I primarily use them for long-term aging; all my fermenting’s done in buckets.

The whole scratching thing has never worried me; I feel like if there’s any real chance of the inside getting scratched it’s because you’re doing something seriously wrong. I am impatient about cleaning, though. Instead of soaking stubborn crud overnight, I put a piece of terrycloth in there and shake. Carboy’s usually clean within half a minute.[/quote]
Even stacking of buckets isn’t a risk of scratching them? I really want to go to buckets for the ease of cleaning them, but I really like seeing fermentation start and not having wort splash out when aerating with a mix stir.

[quote=“Beersk”]Even stacking of buckets isn’t a risk of scratching them? I really want to go to buckets for the ease of cleaning them, but I really like seeing fermentation start and not having wort splash out when aerating with a mix stir.[/quote]I check my buckets after cleaning to make sure they haven’t picked up a plastic burr around the bottom rim (and I’m careful to not drag them across the floor when full) and if I find one I smooth it out before stacking. When using a mix-stir with a bucket, I found that pushing the mix-stir through a drilled lid and then snapping the lid down made it much easier to keep the wort contained. And if you want to go a step better, you can squirt a little O2 in the headspace every now and then, too.

BB with sanitized tin foil.

ER visits?

Better bottle with blow off hose. Sometimes I switch to an airlock after the krausen has fallen. I wouldn’t worry about the type of airlock.

ER visits?[/quote]

When soda glass breaks, it can form large shards with very sharp edges, and 5 gallons of liquid can put a lot of kinetic energy behind them. And, of course, anything that’s going to cause one to break is probably something that’s happening right next to your feet.

I’ve got no idea how common severe lacerations really are, but there are definitely some horror stories floating around out there.

I go with glass. If taken care of it will last longer than you, and has the lowest oxygen permiability of all the usual containers. I like to use a milk crate to haul my carboys around. It protects the bottom and give you two nice hand holds. I think brewing with a glass carboy probably results in a lot fewer injuries than driving a car, so why not take the risk and use the best material.