Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Better with age

I have read a lot of comments about a beer getting better the longer its in the bottle.
I’m new & this is probably a stupid question.
Does the aging process happen if the beer is refrigerated? Or does the beer need to be kept at room temp like it is the first few weeks after bottling?

Room temp works… And it’s usually the maltier beers that do well with some age. Hop flavor can fade, so fresh is better for hoppier brews like an APA or IPAs

Namaste

They will last longer and stay fresher at refrigeration temperatures after they’ve fully carbonated. I find that beers pick up some oxidation flavors after a few months at room temp. Perhaps it’s the method of bottling used for the bottle conditioned beers I’ve had, I don’t know. But I’ve recently had a Deschutes Inversion IPA that is bottle conditioned (says right on the bottle) and it had the same flavor I’ve gotten out of a friend’s IPA. It was oxidized and oxidized IPAs are gross. Never trust beer sales.

[quote=“DrGonzo”]Room temp works… And it’s usually the maltier beers that do well with some age. Hop flavor can fade, so fresh is better for hoppier brews like an APA or IPAs
[/quote]

True for the so called “American” IPAs (mainly because many American craft beer lovers seem to like ramped up green hop flavors and a more astringent bitterness).
God knows I’m anything but a style nazi (in truth, I’m exactly the opposite), but putting all that aside and acknowledging that people’s tastes do vary, the fact is that some IPAs do very well with proper aging and some even improve considerably. After all, IPAs were traditionally long aged (originally out of necessity, but later as a planned part of it’s production).

Sierra’s Celebration Ale (one of my favorite commercial IPAs) is delicious enough when first released each year but since it is bottle conditioned at packaging, it is sublime after a few months (or even a year) of cellaring or cold storage…especially if ultimately consumed at a temperature where it can actually be tasted …like around 55°F.

[quote=“The Professor”]
Sierra’s Celebration Ale (one of my favorite commercial IPAs) is delicious enough when first released each year but since it is bottle conditioned at packaging, it is sublime after a few months (or even a year) of cellaring or cold storage…especially if ultimately consumed at a temperature where it can actually be tasted …like around 55°F.[/quote]

This is one of the few times I’m gonna have to disagree with ya. But as pointed out, it’s all about personal preference.

[quote=“Denny”][quote=“The Professor”]
Sierra’s Celebration Ale (one of my favorite commercial IPAs) is delicious enough when first released each year but since it is bottle conditioned at packaging, it is sublime after a few months (or even a year) of cellaring or cold storage…especially if ultimately consumed at a temperature where it can actually be tasted …like around 55°F.[/quote]

This is one of the few times I’m gonna have to disagree with ya. But as pointed out, it’s all about personal preference.[/quote]

No problem there Denny…I totally get it.
Celebration is certainly one of the ones that is delicious and beautifully balanced from the git go…and also one of the rare ones that is still very good (albeit admittedly very different) further down the line.
:cheers:

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com