Better Bottle... leaking?

I’ve been switching over to BB (from glass) and have had no issues with them. I soak them with Oxyclean and rinse, so as not to scratch the insides; however, this morning, I went down to the basement to find that one of them appears to have leaked out most of the cleaning solution onto the floor – what a mess! :shock:

Has anyone else had one leak like that? Since I purchased them at the NB MKE store, would they exchange it for a new one? I’ve only used this one maybe three times…

I know several people have had issues with them developing cracks in the bottom.

If you only use it three times and it wasn’t dropped or some other way damaged I think I would contact the company. They have an email contact on their site http://www.better-bottle.com/contact.html

You do have to be careful how you roll or rock them (if you do) so as not to put too much pressure on the bottom edge.

My LHBS had something I noticed recently where they showed a BB with a section of the bottom broken out and a caution that extended contact with cleaners could weaken the plastic and cause this. Not sure if that is correct or not

I put a small crack in the bottom of one of my better bottles by setting it on a pebble I didn’t see on my garage floor. :oops: I now have a small scrap of carpet I set them on when I’m in my garage. Can’t find it but someone linked an article from the maker of Better Bottles on how they suggest cleaning them. They actually recommend a clothes washing detergent, a 7th Generation one. Will say it does work impressively well as I soaked a very dirty carboy from a lambic that had been sitting for 9 months and it came out spotless. It is also pretty cheap too compared to PBW (which I still use on lots of other equipment).

Edit: Here is the paper on cleaning better bottles I was thinking of (it is a PDF) http://www.better-bottle.com/pdf/Washin … gStudy.pdf

[quote=“Flip”]I put a small crack in the bottom of one of my better bottles by setting it on a pebble I didn’t see on my garage floor. :oops: I now have a small scrap of carpet I set them on when I’m in my garage. Can’t find it but someone linked an article from the maker of Better Bottles on how they suggest cleaning them. They actually recommend a clothes washing detergent, a 7th Generation one. Will say it does work impressively well as I soaked a very dirty carboy from a lambic that had been sitting for 9 months and it came out spotless. It is also pretty cheap too compared to PBW (which I still use on lots of other equipment).

Edit: Here is the paper on cleaning better bottles I was thinking of (it is a PDF) http://www.better-bottle.com/pdf/Washin … gStudy.pdf[/quote]
Very good link. Lots of good info there.

Has anyone seen Free & Clear Natural 2X Seventh Generation enzyme-enhanced detergent in the grocery store? I will take a look next time we shop. You can buy it online from a few sources BTW.

Found it in my local grocery store.

One thing I do when cleaning my carboys that saves cleaner is to just but a gallon of water in and the cleaner of choice, insert a solid stopper, invert the carboy and leave it. I lean the carboy in a corner so it doesn’t fall over. I do this since it is usually only the krausen ring that is stubborn.

Found it in my local grocery store.

One thing I do when cleaning my carboys that saves cleaner is to just but a gallon of water in and the cleaner of choice, insert a solid stopper, invert the carboy and leave it. I lean the carboy in a corner so it doesn’t fall over. I do this since it is usually only the krausen ring that is stubborn.[/quote]

I put a gallon or so in and lay it on its side. Then just roll it periodically to allow the cleaner to work on the stains