Beta yeast

been reading about beta yeast
kind of confused about the word beta what kind of yeast is it

Do you have a website or something to reference? Some yeast labs will release a “beta” of a yeast that they’re getting ready to release, to see how the yeast performs in a variety of worts and fermentation profiles. I’m not sure how they would be using the term “beta” in what you’ve been reading, though.

did read on yeast bay about it wanted to order more kveik yeast

Yep, Yeast Bay has a beta-release program, where he offers early samples of their new products in limited quantities for people to test for them. He’s using the term as you would with software. He used to use just a few select brewers for his beta program, but now is selling them in limited quantity for homebrewers to try. It’s not really a type of yeast, but just how they get feedback on new products before propagating it in larger quantities to sell to the general market. I’ve tried a beta release of their lacto blend - great stuff if you’re into that sort of thing!

1 Like

You’ve mentioned that yeast before. I’ve never tried it. Do you like it for it’s warm/hot loving temperature profile? (understandable due to where you live).

Yea works perfect for my temp here on island fermentation done in a week. Grav drops fast. So after 8 days transfer to second

1 Like

Yeah, this yeast is crazy stuff. Pitch when the wort is at 100F and let 'er run wild. Traditionally, it would get bottled at around 40 hours.

1 Like

I didn’t push the temp too much, but still, mid seventies. And it worked out well. A bit of bitter orange fruitiness showed up in the IPA (which really ended up more of a pale- I went maybe a little light on the hops). Side by side, it really is so much better than the 1272 I fermented at 62 degrees. I just need to convince NB to carry it in store, so I don’t have to pay for shipping.

yes indeed if they would have it in stock than easy for me one stop one shop
been chating to nb right now if they can get the yeast in to the product line

Porkchop, wilco et al,
with those kinda temps and speed of fermentation is it definite Blowoff tube territory?

This weekend I did a BIG DIPA, bordering on imperial with Wyeast 1318, a notorious top cropper and even at 61* in my fermentation chamber/fridge I had to switch to a blowoff tube last night as krauesen was moving up into the S-airlock…the second time this has happened. Note to those using 1318, always use a blowoff tube!

I would. In my case, I split 5 gallons of wort into two fermentors, so I had a ton of headspace in the primary. If I were doing something more standard, I’d go for a blowoff tube. But then, I probably would with just about any yeast.

1 Like

Yes did learn a hard lesson to use a blow over tube haha. The old lady not happy. Haha

1 Like

I use the blow off tube from start to finish now. I have a two gallon bucket with lockers… just taking up space. Sneezles61