Best way to reduce mash PH

Its been a piece of brewing I need to tinker with… I won’t go all off the deep end… Reading stuff to enlighten my thinnin’ process has caused me head aches trying to understand HOW the scientific pieces arrive at their conclusions… That piece I WILL side step now as its sooo in-depth…
It’d be very simple if I could make this computer do as I ask… I could eliminate about a pickup load of books in my collection, and collect more old beer trinkets!
Sneezles61

I kinda disagree with the “if your water tastes good it will make good beer” philosophy. Generally speaking it’s true but the type of beer you want to brew has an impact on how well your water works for the recipe.

Here’s the brunwater “Water Knowledge” page. Much simpler and to the point than palmer.

https://www.brunwater.com/water-knowledge

3 Likes

Thats why they sell so many dark brews as the first step… Imagine trying to make a blonde Ale? Not much room to hide mistakes…
Now I have 4 gallons distilled to dilute my water… And after reading some exchanges from A.J.DeLange and M. Brungard… I have an idea where to land with my water… just a few math equations…
Now, Ive had problems in the past with CaCl and my element burning/scorching… So my plan…
Ill acidify my mash with phosph to get 5.4 pH…
I’ll find out the ml/L for water treatment… and add that just as I turn off the element and whirlpool… Seems the CaCl takes a bit get into the solution… Cl and So are the two main ions for this style… and lower the RA… lower Ca too… And I intend to error on the side of less as I wade through this new process…
Sneezles61

Well not to over simplify it but if you have hard water for a light beer dilute with 75% distilled adjust for pH and go. Dark beer don’t dilute. Then all others somewhere in the middle. I’ll bet you can make decent beer with this formula.

1 Like

It takes some peeps a while to get to understanding just that tip of the iceberg…
I’ve got all my details summarized… now to start my practice…
Sneezles61