Best way to aerate

Im looking to start using liquid yeast

Any opinion pros/cons on which way to go? The two main options i see are…

A) http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/oxygenation-kit.html

or

B) http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/aeration-system.hml

lower grav beers are fine just being aerated. high grav beers get a stronger start from a blast of O2 from a stone. the only time I use O2 on low grav is when I’m using my conical or lagers, which are usually in my conical. it depends on if you brew more sessions or sippers.

I like to use a mix-stir.
Simple, quick, easy.

I use an oxygenation kit. And couldn’t be more happy with the outcomes. I was having beers stick in the high teens of me on almost every batch. Even with changing mash temps.

Now I have been hitting 1.010 on most beers.

Go with the oxygenation kit.

I’m a rebel! While I agitate, stir and shake, I don’t worry too much about aeration. I make a good starter or rehydrate dry yeast and use a strainer when I go into primary, add the yeast, shake it if I have a bottle or stir very well if I have a pale and it just works.
I’ve done beers up to 1.090 this way with no problems. Never use oxygen or stones in my over 20 years of brewing. Maybe I’m just lucky.

[quote=“Baratone Brewer”]I like to use a mix-stir.
Simple, quick, easy.[/quote]

+1. I’ve been using a mix stir ever since Denny said he’s been using one for the last 10 years without fail. Inexpensive and oh so easy.

Shaking the bejeebus out of it will get almost enough O2 for ales and lagers.
But pure O2 is sure quicker and easier for me.

[quote=“Baratone Brewer”]I like to use a mix-stir.
Simple, quick, easy.[/quote]

Same here. My experience is that the results are pretty much equal to using an O2 system.

I think most people agree that the BEST method is O2 and a stone, especially for higher gravity. That said, loads of people get good results with more low tech methods.

Personally, I use an aquarium pump and a stone, and although I will continue to use it because it works and I’ve already got it, I don’t necessarily recommend going that route. As near as I can tell it’s no better than shaking, and actually takes longer. Only real benefit is less danger of spilling or breaking. If you don’t want to go full on O2, and don’t want to bother with shaking, I think a mix stir sounds like a good idea.

You could also use a pinpoint’s worth of olive oil and not have to aerate at all…

Not really. That theory has been tested and dropped. It seems that it was used at New Belgium primarily for yeast storage between brews, not fermentation. AFAIK, New Belgium stopped doing it after a short trial (one batch of Fat Tire) when they found it led to premature staling and off flavors. I know of only one controlled test of it on the homebrew level and the tasters in a blind triangle tasting preferred the beer made with O2 instead of OO. The results are here…http://hbd.org/discus/messages/43688/45581.html

The “best” method is really subjective. I would say the best method is whatever you have easy access to and allows you to easily meet your specific objectives.

I use O2 for all my batches. Simple and effective process.

I primary in a pail, and I use a sanitized stainless whisk to whip up a froth several times while I am siphoning from pot to pail. It may not be as efficient as adding pure oxygen, but the price (free) is right and it has helped reduce lag times and, IMO, cleaned up the flavor of my beers.

[quote=“Denny”][quote=“Baratone Brewer”]I like to use a mix-stir.
Simple, quick, easy.[/quote][/quote]

Thanks for the replys everyone. I didnt even know about the mix stir option.

Denny do you have any guidelines you follow when using it? gravity/time

[quote=“beerme11”][quote=“Denny”][quote=“Baratone Brewer”]I like to use a mix-stir.
Simple, quick, easy.[/quote][/quote]

Thanks for the replys everyone. I didnt even know about the mix stir option.

Denny do you have any guidelines you follow when using it? gravity/time[/quote]

I just run it til the fermenter is filled with foam. Maybe 2-3 min.

mix stir +1… now. Up until 1 month ago I didn’t have a mix stir, so I would use the double mesh strainer from NB and plunge it in the wort for a while. Works like a charm. Churnin’ the butter!! Foams up most readily. I love multitasking tools, and I have plenty of tasks for that bad boy!!

:slight_smile:

All I do is use a plastic stirring rod with holes in the end and stir into a whirlpool, then stop the rod so that everything sloshes, then go the oposite direction and repeat several times. 20 or so 5 gallon batches and none have fell short on gravity. Just my 2 pennies worth!