Best Setup with a 2k budget

Hello Everyone,

It has been about 8 years since I brewed beer, do to moving and other related issues I just havent had the time but am looking forward to diving back in head first. My question is what would be the best kit or set up that you would get with a 2k budget for someone who has experience brewing (would need to dust off the cobwebs).

Thank you in advance.,

EGB

What did you used to brew on? What size system you looking for? Fully automatic or hands on? You really have to narrow it down

Thank you, Id like to create 10 gallons I was doing extracts in 5 gallon batches before, but would like to bump up to an all mash kit. Something hands on but with the upgraded tech. Looks like the gear has improved dramatically since I was last doing it.

And Ill also add, Id really like to get into kegging vs bottling. And wouldnt be opposed to extracts still if there was a benefit to putting my money toward a better fermenter / kegging system.

1 Like

10 gallon batches you definitely want kegs. Probably a minimum of 6-8 you will need a keeper for temperature control and a kegerator. How many taps you planning? This is going to be fun. You want used or new? You see I’m working backwards but I think it’s important to know the end game. We won’t even get into the basement tap room yet that will come later.

2 Likes

Haha! Understood. For the Kegerator and actual Kegs Id be cool with going used. Id assume about three taps? Ultimately it is going to be set up for server at our Club House so 2to 3 different types would be good and ill say these gentleman can drink some beer.

1 Like

Your going to need more kegs. Look on line there was a place selling a pallet (12) of used kegs that looked like a good price

For reference, I’ve got a two tap kegerator and 6 kegs. Two in service, two to transfer into for holding until one kicks, one for long term aging for bigger beers, and one as backup. :innocent:

:beers:
Rad

1 Like

Next question. Brewing gas or electric? Indoor or outdoor?

Going to be gas in a big garage / outdoor. Thank you for all your help!!!

Turnkey is probably out of your budget but the next thing to look at is a fermenter and temperature control. Those uni tank vessels are nice but sounds like you are going to need to brew alot to keep your club happy so you may need to get the beer out of the fermenter quickly. So you may want to do secondaries. My mind is working so bare with me.

1 Like

Brew Cat to the rescue!! BUT… Have you got 220 power where you’d brew? Trust me… you’ll be soooo much happier electric… Not knocking gas. Sneezles61

2 Likes

My twocents as I piecemealed things together and dream of a 10 gallon automated system when I hit the lottery, here is my recommended order of purchase for 10 gallon batches:

-MILL!!! (I have Monster Mill and LOVE it.)
-15-20 gallon kettle
-Appropriate burner, LOVE my Blichmann for brewing in garage, don’t worry @sneezles61, electric 10 gal is in my near future :smiling_imp:
-PUMP (I do 5 gallon batches (for now :smiling_imp:) and use a ladder to hold kettle to gravity drain through CFC, would NOT do this for 10 gal batches, lifting 6 gals of boiling liquid manually is sketchy enough :grimacing:)
-Chiller (Internal chiller is nice for whirlpool, I use CFC for most of my brews)
-used kegs (much cheaper, work just as well, may need some cleaning/seals/gaskets depending on where you source them)
-Kegerator (you may want to check craigslist for used fridge and build one, I bought mine from kegerator.com)
-Perlick faucets (preferably with flow control, it’s amazing, also, get Perlick’s, they’re worth every penny)

I Batch Sparge and use a propane burner so obviously you’d need a way to mash on top of this suggested list of equipment. Many on this forum would highly recommend BIAB, but I’ve never tried it. I get 75-80% efficiency with batch sparging and love it, thanks @denny!!.

This priority list also assumes you have vessels to ferment in, I don’t secondary, but have two 6.5 gal fermentors that I typically keep brews in for 2-3 weeks before transferring to kegs.

Rad

6 Likes

OK I thought about it. About $300 for 6 used kegs and regulator another $100 tank and hoses etc. Another $500 to buy and build a kegerator. So that size kegging system will eat up about 1k. HLT 15-20 gallon with valve thermometer and sight glass maybe $300 . 15-20 gallon boil kettle with valve $200. 10-15 gallon cooler tun another $100 maybe. Then you need burners and a pump not to mention a fermentation vessel and chiller. We need to find more money or use cheaper kettles

2 Likes

Wow when I start adding things up, 2k can go pretty quick. All solid suggestions thus far and I think my setup is similar to @radagast as far as equipment although I don’t have a mill yet. My 4 tap keezer cost roughly 1300 from start to finish but I haven’t put a dime into since it was built nearly 6 years ago. Think about the future and don’t buy things twice!

4 Likes

This is extremely good advice. :+1:

Rad

2 Likes

Let’s start building your system. Grab these

3 Likes

I like pin locks better than ball locks… You absolutely cannot get the wrong disconnect on the wrong post… Sneezles61

1 Like

If you want ball locks this is a good deal. Anyone hear of good deal on kettles and such chime in. Gotta get @EGBIII set up under budget.

3 Likes

Purchased!!! And I’ve been doing a lot of research. Thinking about upping the budget here and just saying screw it and going with the spike HERMS system. What do you think?