Best pils in a long time

I’m gonna follow something like this with saaz single hop for the late hopping. just because that’s the only non-american hop that I have one hand. Thanks!

1 Like

I had to think about that a while, @dannyboy58 Played a role in that. I had been looking for a good German lager yeast, and have used 2308 but found that it wasn’t a vigorous starter although the end products ended up quite good eventually. Danny had suggested 2206… And that’s what I used for this one, and it turned out great!

I think I had a Vienna lager in the pipeline with 2308 at that time.
Edit: here is that lager thread from last year, I had two lagers going and I wasn’t happy with how slow they were to clear, drop, and overall performance of 2308.

1 Like

Yes ive beei using the wy2206 and like it. I lhink I may have used the white labs equivalent and wasn’t as happy.

2 Likes

Wasn’t wlp830 was it? My LHBS didn’t have 2206 and said they may discontinue wyeast because they don’t sell much, so I went with WLP830 German Lager.

I will say I’m unimpressed so far. The 830 had a use by date of 9/30/2020, I assume that means it was packaged in march? Why don’t they just say when like other yeast companies do?! I pitched a 1L starter to 5 gals rather warm for a lager at 61 and put it in the swamp cooler with frozen water bottles. This morning the temp on the fermometer was 58, swamp water was 52 and the surface of the wort was flat, no bubbles, no foam… 2206 pitched with the same conditions would’ve had 1/2 of krauesen.

I think I have some year old 2206 in the freezer. May have to see if I can revive some.

No it was wlp820

1 Like

The 830 kicked off yesterday afternoon and has about an inch of krauesen on it this morning. Now that I think about it I didn’t have the usual giant foam cap on the wort after pumping it into the bucket. Very strange. Probably should have aerated it more but it’s going now.

Probably why it was slow starting

1 Like