Best Oatmeal Stout Kit

One of my favorite beers is Sam Smiths Oatmeal Stout. I am currently brewing a batch of Irish Red ale and would like to brew a batch of oatmeal stout as close in taste to the Sam Smiths as possible. Because I’m new to brewing I want to purchase a kit and my question is “What kits can closest replicate the Sam Smith’s Oatmeal Stout” ? I was actually speaking with a guy from Mid-West Brewing supplies and he admitted their oatmeal stout was not as good as the Smiths.

If you’re all grain, here’s a clone recipe I found:

http://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/samuel- ... ut-clone-4

I’m not sure the best way to convert that to extract if that’s what you’re looking for.

First, I don’t see how a proper oatmeal stout can be made without either doing a mini-mash or all grain batch. Oats need to be mashed.

Yeast selection will make a big difference. I’ve used Irish ale yeast and Wyeast 1968 in my oatmeal stout recipes. I detected esters in both that were present in Samuel Smith’s, but neither were a spot on match. Both make a nice oatmeal stout.

A general tip that I doubted, but found does make a difference in an oatmeal stout: toast the oatmeal in your oven at 300°F until it starts to turn slightly golden. Maybe 20-25 min.

Thanks for the advice. I did find a Oatmeal Stout Partial Mash Kit on this website. Since this will be only my second batch of beer I should probably stick to a more simple recipe. Someday I hope to start all grain brewing, but for now I’m just happy if what I make is drinkable :slight_smile:

Mini mash isn’t difficult and I bet you could do it with no problems. The best part is that most of your fermentables will be coming from lme/dme so if you have poor conversion it won’t ruin the beer. All you need to do is take some water (1.25qts/lb of grain) and heat it to 152*. Place the grains in a muslin bag and drop it in the water and wait for 60 mins. Heat about 2qts/lb of grain of water to 170* while you wait for the mash to complete. When the 60 mins is up take bag and place it in a colander over the same kettle you used for the mash. Take the water and pour over your grains. Try not to pour the water so it channels and only rinses part of the grains. Top your kettle off like you would for extract and proceed as usual. See, not that hard, and will give you some insight to AG.

Loopie, I hear ya. I read up on the mini mash and totally agree. I actually just ordered a mini-mash kit for a Sam Smith Oatmeal Stout clone. Hopefully ready to drink at Christmas :slight_smile:

I would tell you good luck but I don’t think you need it!