Best Malz Red X

Interesting

Yes interesting. My only question is a general one, WTF is it about red beers than seem to fascinate so many people? “Is my beer infected?” still has to be #1 but “How do I make a red beer?” must be in the top five.

:cheers:

[quote=“BryanH”]Yes interesting. My only question is a general one, WTF is it about red beers than seem to fascinate so many people? “Is my beer infected?” still has to be #1 but “How do I make a red beer?” must be in the top five.

:cheers: [/quote]

Try Ken’s red lager (I’ve made it as an ale or as a lager) and you will see the reason for the fascination!

I agree red is a very interesting color in the beer world. A red Pils ? or a blood red IPA ? Even just a little tint in a brown or amber beer.

Sorry to bump an old thread up but I’m planning on making a red lager after Christmas and this malt came upon my radar. Unfortunately
http://countrymaltgroup.com/bestmaltz.asp
doesn’t list it available for purchase yet. :expressionless:

Ken, I may end up trying your recipe. :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s the same with black IPA. While I love the style, I disagree with trying to make it black without having any roast character. Or this new pale stout fad that’s going around. It’s just disgusting tasting.

[quote=“BryanH”]Yes interesting. My only question is a general one, WTF is it about red beers than seem to fascinate so many people? “Is my beer infected?” still has to be #1 but “How do I make a red beer?” must be in the top five.

:cheers: [/quote]
For the same reason this is interesting:

It’s the same with black IPA. While I love the style, I disagree with trying to make it black without having any roast character. Or this new pale stout fad that’s going around. It’s just disgusting tasting.[/quote]

Amen, brother. I’ve never understood why anybody would want to waste money on some expensive malt-derived coloring product like the one from Weyermann Maltsters just to make a beer black without having any roast flavor at all. This is not Bavaria, for crying out loud. If you just want a beer to be black without it tasting roasted (for whatever obscure reason I cannot comprehend), you might as well just use black food coloring! Who the hell cares how it gets it’s color? As far as the pale stout thing, I only just heard about that within the last couple of weeks or so, and I’ve never seen a commercial example of one anywhere. I’d be a whole lot more interested in seeing how that trick is pulled off than I am in some lame pseudo-stout.