Best Hops for a RyPA

Just wondering if any IPA fans had particular hops that they use in a rye as opposed to a traditional IPA. Brewing a Rye this weekend, and had great results with the hop schedule of my last IPA (which this essentially mimics, minus some amarillos since I am out of them).

Don’t have the recipe handy, but its basically my house IPA grain bill with 20% of the 2-row dropped to make room for the rye:

60% 2-row
20% rye
5% crystal 20
5% crystal 40
10% melanodin
2 tsp gypsum

-mash hop w/ caliente
-FWH with CTZ
-90 minute boil
-magnum @ 60
-mix of caliente, centennial, chinook at 20, 15, 10, 5, FO, dry hop
-additional hit of Cascade (locally-grown, don’t have analysis, so they’re best as late/dry hops) at flameout and dry-hop

Personally, I love Denny’s simple RIPA hop schedule.
Mt Hood and Columbus. Have you tried that?

[quote=“pinnah”]Personally, I love Denny’s simple RIPA hop schedule.
Mt Hood and Columbus. Have you tried that?[/quote]

Have not. Do you have the additions/schedule available or a link, or is this just one of NB’s recipes?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=dennys+rye+smile+ipa

It’s the 3rd recipe down on this page:

http://hbd.org/cascade/recipes/recipes.html

I brewed a Rye Pale Ale back in December. Turned out great. I like getting a nice blend of citrus, spice, earthy flavors in a rye ipa or pale ale. I used Centennial, Nugget, Crystal, Perle.

I do agree that Denny’s Rye Smile IPA is fantastic… I just prefer a little citrus to go with the spice.

There is a monster thread here somewhere. :expressionless:

I mess with the schedule every time I brew it, but mostly very late in the boil.
I think the FWH Mt Hood is key. I typically add more Columbus and Mt Hood as late hops and dry hop with more of the same.

Simple and cheap hops. I like to know I can grow these at home and always have this beer.

Cheers

[quote=“pinnah”]There is a monster thread here somewhere. :expressionless: [/quote]I was just looking a it the other day, 74 pages!
http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?t=26497

Ah, the ol’ lmgtfy. The reason I asked is I am heading to the lhbs tonight and most beer stuff (including hbt) is blocked on my co’s browser.

Ah, the ol’ lmgtfy. The reason I asked is I am heading to the lhbs tonight and most beer stuff (including hbt) is blocked on my co’s browser.[/quote]

Well thank god you can at least get on here! I start a new job in a few weeks and am worried about website restriction. I’ll wait and see.

Spicy hops are always a good combination with Rye. If makeing a pale ale or IPA, like I stated earlier, I prefer a blend of citrus and spicy hops.

Ah, the ol’ lmgtfy. The reason I asked is I am heading to the lhbs tonight and most beer stuff (including hbt) is blocked on my co’s browser.[/quote]

Well thank god you can at least get on here! I start a new job in a few weeks and am worried about website restriction. I’ll wait and see.

Spicy hops are always a good combination with Rye. If makeing a pale ale or IPA, like I stated earlier, I prefer a blend of citrus and spicy hops.[/quote]

nice. Well if you’re not a complete cheap ba$tard like me, you might least have a non-company-issued smartphone where you can get on forums and such during downtime!

I have a ton of Magnums on hand, which I typically just use for bittering, but as I understand it, both Magnum and Mt. Hood are descendant of Hallertauer. Maybe I’ll try throwing in some late Magnum instead of the Mt. Hood hops for the spiciness.

I also use Magnum strictly for bittering. I thought magnum was a clean bittering hop, meaning it wouldn’t add much if anything in terms of flavor/aroma? I’d stick with Mt.Hood, but hey it’s your beer. Give it a shot. Make sure to report back.

DC’s Rye IPA:

Batch Size (GAL): 5.00 Wort Size (GAL): 5.00
Total Grain (LBS): 16.25
Anticipated OG: 1.073 Plato: 17.8
Anticipated SRM: 12.2
Anticipated IBU: 75.1
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65 %
Wort Boil Time: 70 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM

67.7 11.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2
18.5 3.00 lbs. Rye Malt America 1.030 4
7.7 1.25 lbs. Crystal 60L America 1.034 60
3.1 0.50 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt 1.033 2
3.1 0.50 lbs. Wheat Malt America 1.038 2

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time

1.00 oz. Mt. Hood Whole 4.90 15.0 FWH
1.00 oz. Columbus Whole 17.80 54.4 60 min.
0.50 oz. Mt. Hood Whole 4.90 5.7 30 min.
1.50 oz. Mt. Hood Whole 4.90 0.0 0 min.
1.00 oz. Columbus Whole 15.00 0.0 Dry Hop

[quote=“Pietro”]
I have a ton of Magnums on hand, which I typically just use for bittering, but as I understand it, both Magnum and Mt. Hood are descendant of Hallertauer. Maybe I’ll try throwing in some late Magnum instead of the Mt. Hood hops for the spiciness.[/quote]
I have tried a bunch of Magnum late, and barely got any aroma from them at all.
Subtle and delicate, which seems odd given their potent clean bitter. Not spicy.

[quote=“dobe12”]
Spicy hops are always a good combination with Rye. If makeing a pale ale or IPA, like I stated earlier, I prefer a blend of citrus and spicy hops.[/quote]

Agree that spicy would be good with rye.
Subbing Perle for Mt Hood in Denny’s recipe might be good. Add some centennial late?

Have fun!

I just did a single hop nelson sauvin rye pale ale, that’s in secondary about to be dry hopped that tasted great when I sampled during transfer.

I think its just a matter of taste, as I have a lot of friends who love this hop, many of whom have great palettes, but I simply can’t stand it. Anchor Humming ale tastes like dirty grass and perfumy soap to me. My threshold is probably just different, as again, I know a lot of people who luurrrve this hop.

The especially weird thing is, I actually love sauvignon blanc.