Best DME for starters?

I bummed some DME from a bud for the last 2 starter I have done but it is time to put in a big order at NB. SO. What is the best DME for running yeast starters. I assume Pilsen as it is the lightest but that is an assumption and ya know how dnagerouse those things are!!

Barry

Plain extra light.

I would be a little concerned with DMS with the Pilsen based DME.

I prefer Briess Golden Light DME for starters

Can you expand on this?

I have had really good results with it and it is relatively inexpensive for a 3 Lb. bag.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brewing/brewing-ingredients/malt-extract/dry-malt-extract/briess-dme-gold.html

Thanks for the info guys.

Bout to go make up my order with the Biess golden light.

Now for my curious scientific brain. What is it about the pilsen which would cause concern?

Barry

I use pilsen usually. I have seen recommendations for one type or another. DME is produced by mashing and boiling, then it is sprayed through a vacuum vessel to flash off almost all of the water.

The typical advice with any extract LME or DME is that DMS is all gone by the time you get it. I would guess even if it was concern, which I don’t think it is, 1/2 cup or so in a starter will have little influence in the beer especially if the starter is decanted before pitching.

Hope this helps.

[quote=“Nighthawk”]Plain extra light.

I would be a little concerned with DMS with the Pilsen based DME.[/quote]

I doubt that would be a problem. It would have been boiled off when the extract was made.