Best Base Malt for IPA

I am on my 3rd incarnation of my house IPA. I want to develop a great IPA that I will always have on tap. Something fairly traditional along the lines of Bells Two Hearted (but not). I have read a bunch of places that maris otter adds more character than base malt than american two row. Any thoughts? Also any recommendations on crystal or specialty malts?

I think I have the my hop profile mostly in order.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Beave

Personallyq, I prefer domestic malts for domestic atyles. I use Rahr pale (not pale ale) malt for AIPA, APA, and American brown. I find MO to be too overpowering for my tastes on these styles. I usually use 5-10% crystal, either 20, 40, or 60 (usually 60) for both AIPA and APA. Those are the basics. Sometimes I may add some Munich or Victory also. Just depends on what my “taste imagination” is telling me!

+1 to Rahr 2-Row as the base for any American ales.

I like 2-row with a little Marris Otter or GP mixed in.

I use 2row as well. And I agree with Denny that some Victory and/or some Munich is a nice addition. I like just a little C120 for the crystal.

I made an IPA a few months ago that was 96% Vienna. Not traditional, but came out fantastic!

[quote=“dobe12”]I use 2row as well. And I agree with Denny that some Victory and/or some Munich is a nice addition. I like just a little C120 for the crystal.

I made an IPA a few months ago that was 96% Vienna. Not traditional, but came out fantastic![/quote]

That’s pretty much how I make one of my IPAs, too…though sometimes along with the Pale, Munich and the 120, I will use a proportion of Maris in there. I like the character that it lends to the mix.

Never done one with a high proportion of Vienna, but that does sound like it would be really good. I think I’ll try that next time around!

I’ve made some APAs using MFB Special Aromatic as about 85% of the grist. It gives the beer a dry, slightly nutty flavor. Note that that malt is nothing like the Aromatic commonly used.

I will throw my vote to the Rahr as well. As others have mentioned, it is milder than the European malts IMHO.

I go with Rahr 2 row as well. Used to buy Maris by the sack, but. . . .I don’t know, I think the 2 row simply tastes better and it costs about half as much. Have been going with about a 60/40 mix of 2 row and munich for my amber ales - love the munich in that type of beer. Might try it in my next batch of IPA to see what I think.

Thanks all. I will buy a bag or 2 row pale tomorrow. I think I will keep the 2 row and add whatever crystal at 5%. My first incarnation was good but I had too much crystal.

That sounds good. I may make a hoppy amber with that mix soon.
I also use Rahr 2-row for my base malt, it’s solid.