Belma Blast

Brewed up a batch of Belma (not quite) SMASH last night. Fermenting away and smells like a strawberry-banana smoothie or a cheap wine cooler. Not sure that’s good for a beer. If nothing else, it’ll be interesting when it is done.

7 lb pale 2 row
1 lb Munich
8 oz crystal 40

BIAB - tried to mash at 155. But, this is only my third AG batch and I am still trying to figure out how to measure and control mash temp. So, not sure how closely I hit the temp. Looking forward to building an MLT as I think it will be easier to mix the mash, measure accurately and adjust the temp.

60 minute boil

.5 oz at 45
.5 oz at 15
.5 oz at 5
1.0 oz at flame out

3.25 gallons post boil and cooled; OG post boil - 1.073

Not really trying to hit any particular style. All my AG brews have been with same grain bill. I am varying mash temps and hops to see how it all works.

S-04. Fermenting at about 64 degrees.

I’ll provide an update from time to time.

I did an all belma pale ale. Went with a little more hops that you.

Belma APA
American Pale Ale

Recipe Specs

Batch Size (G): 5.7
Total Grain (lb): 11.500
Total Hops (oz): 9.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.060 (°P): 14.7
Final Gravity (FG): 1.015 (°P): 3.8
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.89 %
Colour (SRM): 6.8 (EBC): 13.4
Bitterness (IBU): 47.5 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 80
Boil Time (Minutes): 75

Grain Bill

10.500 lb Pale Ale Malt (91.3%)
0.500 lb Carapils (Dextrine) (4.35%)
0.500 lb Crystal 40 (4.35%)

Hop Bill

0.50 oz Belma Pellet (11.3% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (First Wort) (0.1 oz/Gal)
0.50 oz Belma Pellet (11.3% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.1 oz/Gal)
1.00 oz Belma Pellet (11.3% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (0.2 oz/Gal)
1.00 oz Belma Pellet (11.3% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil) (0.2 oz/Gal)
2.00 oz Belma Pellet (11.3% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil) (0.3 oz/Gal)
4.00 oz Belma Pellet (11.3% Alpha) @ 14 Days (Dry Hop) (0.7 oz/Gal)

Misc Bill

Single step Infusion at 149°F for 90 Minutes.
Fermented at 68°F with Safale US-05

Any reviews of your Belma beers? I know a lot of us bought a lb or 2. At $5, you can’t go wrong. I’m thinking of doing something similar to the last post. Simple pale ale. Belma all the way.

I get a lot of orange and grapefruit with the flavor. Melony nose. I think it would go really well with citra and amarillo.

I did an all Belma about a month ago and just kegged it last night. 22 gallons in all and we tasted a glass last night but it was tough to tell without being carbonated and aged a few weeks. I will report back in a week or so.

I like the simple recipe. No coriander, fruit compote, cocoa nibs, eye of newt, etc., just base malt and a moderate caramel addition. Looks good. Did you top that off, or is that a 3 gallon batch?

Dog turds go well with Citra and Amarillo. I go with 2 medium chunks with the outer 1/4" just crusted over, in the secondary one week.

Dog turds go well with Citra and Amarillo. I go with 2 medium chunks with the outer 1/4" just crusted over, in the secondary one week.[/quote]
Now thats pretty funny, I almost spit beer all over the keyboard.

OK, my all Belma PA has been in the keg a week so I pulled a pint tonight. The aroma is mostly strawberry with a honeydew / canteloupe in the background. For only a week old, this beer is very good. I would definitely make this one again. I suspect that the hops will fade a bit in the next few weeks but overall, its a winner.