Belgium Trippel conditioning in Carboy or Keg

Hello,

My Belgium Trippel (AG) just moved to the secondary after 3 weeks in the Primary.

I would like to know if I should leave it in the secondary for 7 weeks and then Keg condition it for 2 weeks before going to the frig? or leave it in the secondary for 9 weeks and don’t keg condition it before going to the frig?

Thanks
Don C.

Option 3: Condition it in the keg.
Unless you don’t want to tie up the keg then I’d just leave it in the secondary until it’s ready to go in the keg.

[quote=“mvsawyer”]Option 3: Condition it in the keg.
Unless you don’t want to tie up the keg then I’d just leave it in the secondary until it’s ready to go in the keg.[/quote]

THIS^^^^^

[quote=“donald725”]Hello,

My Belgium Trippel (AG) just moved to the secondary after 3 weeks in the Primary.

I would like to know if I should leave it in the secondary for 7 weeks and then Keg condition it for 2 weeks before going to the frig? or leave it in the secondary for 9 weeks and don’t keg condition it before going to the frig?

Thanks
Don C.[/quote]

I had my triple in a primary for 3 weeks, moved to secondary for 4 weeks, then racked into my corny keg. It has been in the corny for about 2.5 months. Yesterday I hooked up my picnic type faucet (thanks to Denny’s great idea) and poured a small sample to taste. It was fine. I have it conditioning under 35 pounds of Co2 at room temperature. I plan on letting it sit until June.

[quote=“mvsawyer”]Option 3: Condition it in the keg.
Unless you don’t want to tie up the keg then I’d just leave it in the secondary until it’s ready to go in the keg.[/quote]

I’ll soon be in a similar situation. Would you recommend adding sugar so it will be carbed when I’m ready for it or is there a drawback to that?

Thanks for the feedback.
I will keg condition the Belgium.

Is there any guidelines to follow for conditioning in a keg?

This is what I used as a guideline for the amount of Co2.

http://www.kegerators.com/articles/carb ... -chart.php

[quote=“Meerts”][quote=“mvsawyer”]Option 3: Condition it in the keg.

I’ll soon be in a similar situation. Would you recommend adding sugar so it will be carbed when I’m ready for it or is there a drawback to that?[/quote]
Wouldn’t it just blow out your airlock or did you have a different setup there?

[quote=“dustinwwww”][quote=“Meerts”][quote=“mvsawyer”]Option 3: Condition it in the keg.

I’ll soon be in a similar situation. Would you recommend adding sugar so it will be carbed when I’m ready for it or is there a drawback to that?[/quote]
Wouldn’t it just blow out your airlock or did you have a different setup there?[/quote]

I was referring to it being in the keg. I’ve naturally conditioned in a keg before but that was for two weeks rather than for half a year or more. There’s a bit of sediment in the first pour but then it clears right up.

Gotcha.

[quote=“Meerts”][quote=“dustinwwww”][quote=“Meerts”]

Wouldn’t it just blow out your airlock or did you have a different setup there?[/quote]

I was referring to it being in the keg. I’ve naturally conditioned in a keg before but that was for two weeks rather than for half a year or more. There’s a bit of sediment in the first pour but then it clears right up.[/quote]
By all means, use the conditioning period to carbonate.

Do you mind posting a recipe? I might be brewing one of these soon.

I am using the Belgium Trippel kit from NB. The flavor profile of the beer when I transferred it to the secondary was very good…

For a tripel, use 80% pils malt (or the lightest dry extract you can find) and 20% table sugar. Hop to about 30 IBU with noble hops. Ferment with WY3787 in the mid 60s, letting it rise into high 60s/low 70s after maybe a week.