Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Belgian Trippel

so I made my 1st batch of this, it has been in primary for 10 days thinking at weeks end moving it to 2ndary. I know this is a beer that stays there a while, but what exactly is this, 2-3 months?

is there a too long?

thanks

So you are asking how long to secondary this beer? IMO one month is fine. The purpose of secondary is for the beer to clean itself up and settle out. For the most part that is accomplished after one month. You could even skip secondary all together and keep the beer in the primary for several weeks. I always secondary big beers like this, just personal preference really. I also usually re-yeast them. Big beer + one month aging = very tired yeast. YMMV.

I’d leave it in primary for maybe 3 weeks to make sure it’s done.

My last tripel was in primary for a month, secondary for about another month. Fermented at 65F. Active for the first 3 weeks and then petered off.

The same batch was split and he fermented at 70 and said he was done in 2 weeks, but his fermentation kicked back up in secondary so I think he pulled it too soon.

Both came out great.

[quote=“moose”]My last tripel was in primary for a month, secondary for about another month. Fermented at 65F. Active for the first 3 weeks and then petered off.

The same batch was split and he fermented at 70 and said he was done in 2 weeks, but his fermentation kicked back up in secondary so I think he pulled it too soon.

Both came out great.[/quote]

Always curious when I read that someone had a beer with active fermentation for 3 weeks or more. I’m somewhere past 50 batches of beer now and have never had active fermentation after a week. Usually it stops after 5 days or so. Sometimes even 3 days. I always make the proper sized starter when needed using Mr.Malty. I temp control my fermentations with a minifridge/temp controller setup or by using a closet in my house that sits at 60F all summer long. I’ve had a few lagers that slowly churned for maybe 7-14 days, but never an ale. I don’t think anything is wrong with my beer or my process of making beer, just more curious as to how some people get 3 week long fermentations? I do routinely let my primaries sit for 3-4 weeks, but never see any active fermentation after about the first week or so.

P.S. And I’m not talking about the occasional bubble of an airlock. I’m talking about actual active fermentation. Krausen, very active airlock, gravity still dropping, etc.

On the iPhone so short Post…

I guess I define an active fermentation as a an airlock release every 15-20 seconds or less. Not sure why mine went longer than yours but could be a number of factors I guess. I can pull my notes when I get home but it calculated out to 9.6% so maybe my OG was higher and it took longer to ferment out.

Thoughts?

Mine came in at 10.9% :?

2.5 gallons
OG 1.092
FG 1.010
SRM 5
IBU 32

7lbs Pils malt
1lb candi sugar

.5oz Saaz 90min
.5oz Saaz 60min
1oz Saaz 15min

Wyeast 3787

90min mash, 90min boil. Cooled to 60F and pitched yeast. After active fermentation started I raised the temp 2 degrees every day for 5 days until the temp was up to 70F. My notes say at this point the krausen had dropped and no signs of active fermentation. I kept the beer in the primary for 1 month at 70F, racked to secondary for 1 month at 70F. Then bottle conditioned for 1 month before drinking. Of course it took a few more months for it to mellow.

I’m not saying what I or someone else did is wrong or right, but I’ve never seen active fermentation past 5-7 days and that’s tops (not counting lagers). I can’t imagine yeast needing 3 weeks to ferment a beer completely. Not talking about cleaning up or conditioning time, but actual fermentation. Having said this, my current procedure is to cool my wort, pitch the yeast and then let the fermentor sit in my ferm fridge for at least 2 weeks and usually 3 before I even check on it. But when I have checked, I’ve never seen active fermentation after a week or so.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com