Belgian Pilser vs Domestic Pilsner?

Is there a major difference? I have Saison recipe calling for Belgian Pilsner, but the LBHS only has regular Pilsner.

Also…I heard, with Pilsner Malt, I should do a 90 minute boil to drive out DMS…is that true?

[quote=“stompwampa”]Is there a major difference? I have Saison recipe calling for Belgian Pilsner, but the LBHS only has regular Pilsner.

Also…I heard, with Pilsner Malt, I should do a 90 minute boil to drive out DMS…is that true?[/quote]
I asked this question recently. Like everything else it seems to be up for debate.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=116697

Subtle differences, but then again there are differences between maltsters. You’ll be fine.

Yes do a 90min boil to be safe.

[quote=“dannyboy58”]I asked this question recently. Like everything else it seems to be up for debate. [/quote]I don’t think there’s any debate on it - boiling for 90 minutes does reduce the potential for DMS and is recommended for grists that are heavy on Pils. It’s entirely possible that you can get away with a sub-90 boil and have no DMS, but you’re taking a chance that you’ll end up with canned corn beer.

[quote=“stompwampa”]Is there a major difference? I have Saison recipe calling for Belgian Pilsner, but the LBHS only has regular Pilsner.

Also…I heard, with Pilsner Malt, I should do a 90 minute boil to drive out DMS…is that true?[/quote]

There’s enough going on in a Saison that you won’t notice the base grain.

[quote=“Rookie L A”][quote=“stompwampa”]Is there a major difference? I have Saison recipe calling for Belgian Pilsner, but the LBHS only has regular Pilsner.

There’s enough going on in a Saison that you won’t notice the base grain.[/quote]

All the LBHS had was domestic pilsner and domestic Vienna. So I’ve got an American Saison now.

A side benefit of the longer boil is more protein break. Pils malt always seems to make a lot of break.

Ran across something interesting today. When I was looking for malt specs on the Hugh Baird website, I noticed that they make a DMS malt for the authentic lager flavor.

http://www.bairds-malt.co.uk/Brewing.html

[quote=“Denny”]Ran across something interesting today. When I was looking for malt specs on the Hugh Baird website, I noticed that they make a DMS malt for the authentic lager flavor.

http://www.bairds-malt.co.uk/Brewing.html[/quote]

kinda cool. I would be worried about overdoing it. I wonder how much it takes for a desirable (not offensive) DMS flavor