Belgian IPA with WLP500

any opposition? Obviously, it’s my beer and I’ll do what I want, but I love checking in with the gurus.

Really? No takers? I’d even accept a “Hell yeah” at this point

I bet it’ll be awesome.

Hell yeah!

Seriously, I’ve never actually used that yeast. Sounds like a reasonable choice though, go for it.

I used WLP 550 for the only Belgian IPA I’ve ever made, which was a take on Houblon Chouffe, and that worked very well. However, I’ve used the 500 (Chimay) yeast numerous times for dubbel, tripel, and Belgian dark strong, which aren’t especially hoppy beers, although it went very well with a Westvleteren 12 (Belgian dark strong) clone that was hopped to 40 IBUs with Northern Brewer, Hallertau Hersbrucker, and Styrian Goldings hops. It is one of the fruitier flavored Belgian yeasts. But it is a very tasty yeast.

Just an update I made my Belgian IPA and it’s just getting better and better with age. This was a great idea.

I just did a Belgian IPA with this exact strain. Tastes really nice. Will try making a Belgian IPA with Danstar saison yeast next.

How old is it? Mine only just started mellowing it’s banana-clove bite after about a month and a half.

Bottled mine on 04/25/13. Mine doesn’t seem to have too much banana or clove going on that I can detect. I’ll pay attention when I have another tomorrow. I mostly notice the hops and overall Belgian flavor, as well as an being extremely refreshing as it starts to warm up. Sadly, my dark mild is now a little too mild as the temperature climbs.

Strange you didn’t get those. I’ve fermented it slowly in the know 60s in order to avoid high ester production but still grabbed some noticeable traces

Mind sharing the recipe? I’ve been thinking of a Belgian IPA for a while now. One of my new favorite styles.

Shamefully this is a modified version of someone else’s white IPA recipe from this forum. Can’t remember whose, though :frowning: sorry I can’t make a proper tip of the hat.

http://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/belchin-ipa

Enjoy, man. It’s a good one. Also, I left out the lemongrass. I wouldn’t mess with it this time around unless you want to split the batch and test it out. But I think that ingredient would cater to a cleaner yeast.