Belgian FG

Alot of Belgian recipes have a higher FG how do you all keep it higher with the Candi sugar working the other direction

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Christmas Abbey ale 2018
Author: Brewcat

Brew Method: BIAB
Style Name: Belgian Dark Strong Ale
Boil Time: 90 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 6.5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.061
Efficiency: 80% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.073
Final Gravity: 1.011
ABV (standard): 8.07%
IBU (tinseth): 34.38
SRM (morey): 19.28

FERMENTABLES:
4.5 lb - United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale (33.3%)
2.5 lb - German - Munich Light (18.5%)
2.5 lb - German - Pilsner (18.5%)
1 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 40L (7.4%)
1 lb - Belgian Candi Syrup - D-90 (7.4%)
1 lb - United Kingdom - Amber (7.4%)
0.5 lb - American - Special Roast (3.7%)
0.5 lb - Belgian - Biscuit (3.7%)

HOPS:
0.38 oz - Magnum, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.1, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 16.72
1 oz - Lublin, Type: Pellet, AA: 4.7, Use: Boil for 30 min, IBU: 11.27
0.5 oz - Hallertau Mittelfruh, Type: Pellet, AA: 3.6, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 2.79
0.5 oz - Tettnanger, Type: Pellet, AA: 3.7, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 1.15
0.5 oz - Hallertau Mittelfruh, Type: Pellet, AA: 3.6, Use: Whirlpool for 10 min at °F, IBU: 2.45

MASH GUIDELINES:

1. Infusion, Temp: 158 F, Time: 60 min

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
1tsp - Irish moss, Time: 15 min, Type: Fining, Use: Boil

YEAST:
Wyeast - Belgian Ardennes 3522
Starter: No
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (custom): 90%
Flocculation: High
Optimum Temp: 65 - 85 F
Fermentation Temp: 68 F

You’ll notice I used 11% c/malt to raise it. I guess that’s in the ballpark.

Did you create this recipe, modify this recipe or find it somewhere?

In title it says abbey ale, style name says Belgian dark strong. Two totally different beers but I think you know that…

OG is a bit low for a dark strong ale, a bit high for an abbey ale and I’ve never seen an abbey ale with candi sugar.

Having said all that yes my dark strong ales end much lower. .003 or so. My trappist or abbey ales more in the .010 range like you’re showing.

I changed the recipe never changed the style header I’ll change it to Belgian specialty ale so that will take care of that part.

I guess if you’re going for a dry higher abv belgian ale that would do it. It does seem like you’d get a lower FG with the sugar in there. I’ve used WY3787 for my trappist ales and dark strongs in the past to get the FGs I mentioned above. Ardennes attenuation is listed about the same. Is that recipe in beersmith?

edit: Maybe try lowering your mash temp. Did you actually intend to mash at 158? I’ve mashed abbey ales high before because you want them to be malty/biscuity but if you’re adding the syrup to dry it and raise the abv you’d likely want to lower the mash temp to right?

Am I flippin’ blind? It sez 7.4%… hhmmm… Mash high and rinse high quite quickly… Sneezles61

All the Belgian malts are sooo good at my LHBS why substitute them out for other malts? The Belgians know what they are doing and have monks dedicated to the craft.

Because that’s what I have on hand. I buy bulk grains and have to substitute

1 Like

I’ve mashed this around 148 before this time I’m trying to get that FG up a touch. As far as Abbey ales not having sugar I disagree.

Yeah 7.4% it’s a dubbel

with me or the monks? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Monks brew Trappist ales. I have no beef with them. Anyone can brew an Abbey ale. Get a copy of brew like a Monk check out some recipes online. Kind of going here Belgian Specialty Ale Beer, Mead and the Best Beer Recipes from the National Homebrew Competition
The Ommegang Abbey Ale

History of this recipe. 6 or 7 generations ago it started out as a New Belgian Fat tire with Abbey ale yeast. It has changed over time depending what I have on hand. It originally had aromatic malt but I keep forgetting to get some. The biscuit is a leftover from the original. The Amber malt and Candi sugar is mine and the Hops and schedule. Again I use what I have.

I have “Brew Like a Monk” and have read it more than once.

Just yanking your chain @brew_cat You’re right of course. When I hear abbey ale my mind always jumps to trappist…patersbier…bla bla…

Interesting recipe origins. Besides it’s your beer bro!

Wyeast - Belgian Ardennes 3522 can be sleepy. I think that can lead to some higher FG with this strain. When I made my triple I stepped up the adjuncts later in the fermentation. I was told that this yeast would feed first on the easy surgars before getting to the sugars from the malt and might lose interest at higher percentages.

Interesting. I’ve made a version of this dry around .004. This batch I’m trying to expierimt get it higher. This will be a repitch and of course an underpitch so maybe it will poop out early. Just playing

When you say a re-pitch… on a previous yeast cake? Sneezles61

No saved harvested

The slurry was pitched at room temperature. I didn’t bother rousing it figured let it be a little stressed. I figured kind of a slow start to mimic a coolship type inoculation. After 24 hrs there was pressure on the airlock and the occasional burp. Going good this AM after about 36 hrs @ 70*. Not sure if I’ll raise the temperature, maybe after it starts to slow.