Belgian Dubbel Help

Thanks again dobe, and sorry to have edited on you a bit…the gist is the same, I’m just a compulsive editor.

That’s actually good to hear re: temps. I don’t have a fridge yet, and keeping temps below 70 is a challenge now that we’re regularly hitting 60+ degrees here in the DC area. It’s partly why I decided to do a Belgian this time around.

Re: mash temps, I’m thinking of picking up a space blanket as I have heat loss issues. If I get that, I may mash low; if not, I’ll probably start around 154, as I lose about 6* over the hour.

[quote=“ickyfoot”]Thanks again dobe, and sorry to have edited on you a bit…the gist is the same, I’m just a compulsive editor.

That’s actually good to hear re: temps. I don’t have a fridge yet, and keeping temps below 70 is a challenge now that we’re regularly hitting 60+ degrees here in the DC area. It’s partly why I decided to do a Belgian this time around.

Re: mash temps, I’m thinking of picking up a space blanket as I have heat loss issues. If I get that, I may mash low; if not, I’ll probably start around 154, as I lose about 6* over the hour.[/quote]

If you lose 6˚ an hour, I would start around 150-151. So you’ll finish up around 144-145F. Most of the conversion happens in the first 1/2hr or so… where you’ll be in the upper 140’s. Of course, this is if you want a drier beer that finishes up with a lower gravity. If you are looking for a little maltier, start in the middle 150’s.

I built an insulator for my mash tun using a roll of reflective insulation from Home Depot. It’s cheap and easy.

http://www.homedepot.com/Building-Mater ... reId=10051

All I did was cut it into 5 pieces long enough to wrap around my mash tun (which is an aluminum pot). Taped the 5 pieces together to make one thick wrap. I have enough material left over to cut a few circles the same size as the bottom of the pot and the lid. I also taped these circles together to make 2 thicker circles. One for the lid and one for the bottom. So, when I’ve mashed in I place the pot on one of the insulation circles, wrap the pot with the other pieces I cut and taped together, put the lid on and place the last circle of insulation on top. I use a bungy cord around the pot to keep the insulation on. I lose only 2-3 degrees over an hour even while the pot sits outside in the cold winter air. I’ll try to attach a pic.

Looks good. I could pretty easily fabricate something for my converted cooler.

Out of curiosity, how are you filtering the runnings?

I BIAB. See the grain sack coming out of the pot? 18"x32" mesh sack. I mash in, wrap the pot for an hour. Pull the sack out and drain for about 5min. Dunk it in a second pot for a sparge and let it sit for about 10min. Drain again and combine the two pots into one and start my boil. I’m hitting between 72-78% efficiency with this method. And like I said before, I’m only losing around 2-3 degrees an hour in the cold. Last week I only lost 1˚ over an hour with the outside temps in the 60’s.

Awesome, thanks dobe!