BeerSmith2 users

[quote=“Cheshire_Cat”]Update… I just received an e-mail from Beersmith announcing the release of the Beersmith app for Ipad, Iphone, and Android. Brad is sending them to be approved in the next few days, so they should hopefully be available in the coming weeks.

:cheers: [/quote]
Saw that too. I’ve only ever really used Beer Alchemy and have stuck with it due to the iPad and iPhone syncing. Now that Beersmith has that ability I may have to check it out. I do really like Beer Alchemy though, I can do everything I need to in that program so I’m not sure what I’d get out of a switch. Beer Alchemy 2 is coming though and does some features I’ll play with like being able to track inventory and recipe cost. BA 2 layout is also a bit improved, very logical if you’re used to using a Mac.

I do this as well, it’s AWESOME![/quote]

I do the same thing. It’s awesome. Unfortunately, I’m guessing his new mobile app will attempt to force me to setup and use his cloud. I’m not sure that it’ll be worth doing that since dropbox works so well with the full application.[/quote]
It does force you to use his cloud and it makes me think I wasted my $4. BrewAide works better for accessing BeerSmith recipes with DropBox AND you can enter some data there. (OG for example) Oh, and it’s free.

So, if I get this straight I have bought BS 1, upgraded to BS 2, will have to buy cloud storage and pay for the app in order to have the convenience of working off my iPad? I’m all for Brad making a few shekels, but what will the cloud and app cost me? Waist deep already, so I may as well go up to the chest…

Cloud pricing: http://beersmithrecipes.com/upgrade. Can use it for free, but are limited to 10 recipes and functionality is limited. Personally, I can’t think of why I would need access to >10 recipes at a time.

I noticed Beersmith Lite in the Google Play store for $3.99. Passing on the Android app for now.

Here is an example: I have had people ask me for older recipes at a homebrew club meeting. In the past, I have to take their email address and send it to them later… which is not the end of the world. But it would be awesome if I could just look it up on my phone real quick. Since I’ve brewed more than 10 recipes, I’d need to:

1. have an app that will let me browse my brew log or let me store all my recipes on an existing free cloud service
  2. be lucky enough to be asked one of the 10 recipes currently stored on the cloud at that time
  3. pay for extra beersmith cloud storage just so I can be nice to someone

Option 1 is what I’d prefer. I was stoked when I found I could do that with dropbox and the free app that someone else has already created. I was just hoping for an official BeerSmith app with similar functionality. In fact, given that it’s not a free app, I was expecting that functionality at a minimum and hoping for some additional application integration that would make it worth buying.

Maybe the next iteration of the official mobile app will have more flexibility and capabilities. The developer has said that the next version will allow you to design recipes, so that may be interesting enough to make it worth throwing a few bucks that way.

It may very well be that I’m using the mobile app differently than many people. I only want a mobile phone app for when I’m away from home (homebrew shop, club meeting, etc…), so timers and brewing tools don’t mean much to me. When I’m home or outside brewing I can just grab the laptop or netbook and have the full application at my fingertips. What I want in a mobile app is the ability to pull up all of my recipes, past brew day details, inventory, and maybe a shopping list.

I might have to start doing this with google drive (they gave me more space). Thanks for the tip!

Anyone figure out a way to use dropbox (or similar) to sync your Beersmith2 PC recipes with the Beersmith2 Lite mobile app? I can get the files on the devices to sync, but I can’t get them to see each other.

You can do it from the BS2lite app thru the BS cloud. No need for Dropbox.

You can do it from the BS2lite app thru the BS cloud. No need for Dropbox.[/quote]But you only get 15 recipes with cloud, any more and you have to pay, it’s pretty inexpensive though.