BeerSmith 2, which mash profile?

I am using BeerSmith 2, nice piece of software … but am not sure what to use for my mash profile.

I pretty much follow the system laid out by Palmer in his How To Brew book … that would seem to be batch sparging? I mash for 60 minutes at 150ish, then 20 minutes at 160ish …

None of the options available really seem to match what I am doing, however … they all mention protein rest.

Thanks for any tips.

if you play around with it you can change the steps and the temps to how you want them. Maybe start with the medium body mash profile, adjust the temp to 150*, then click on add a step and put a 20m rest at 160*. To adjust the temp under the mash details page you can double click on the actual mash step where it says “mash in at…add…qts of water at…”

It takes some getting used to, just click on things to see what you can change or add. That’s how I learned to do it. Or I suppose you could check their website, they have boring yet helpful tutorial videos.

[quote=“georage”]I am using BeerSmith 2, nice piece of software … but am not sure what to use for my mash profile.

I pretty much follow the system laid out by Palmer in his How To Brew book … that would seem to be batch sparging? I mash for 60 minutes at 150ish, then 20 minutes at 160ish …

None of the options available really seem to match what I am doing, however … they all mention protein rest.

Thanks for any tips.[/quote]

you can pick one they have preloaded or make your own

Thanks, I will attempt to roll my own mash profile.

I’d use “Single Infusion Medium Body” Adjust the programs mash temps and step times to match your process.