Beersmith 2 Equipment profile setup

I just upgraded to Beersmith 2 and I have a few questions on setting up the equipment profile.

1. I’m using an 8-gallon SS pot for my mash/lauter tun. I have a false bottom that contains about 1.6 gallons under it. However, I can recover almost all of this water. It’s not deadspace, it’s foundation water or slack water. In any case, I can’t figure out how to get this set correctly in BS2. If I claim it’s deadspace, all the water volumes are off.

2. For my mash profile, I have selected: Temperature Mash, 1 Step, Full Body. When I go into the Mash tab, it shows Fly sparge. I’d like to change it to Batch sparge but it is grayed out and I can’t change it. Is there a way?

Thanks.

[quote=“devils4ever”]I just upgraded to Beersmith 2 and I have a few questions on setting up the equipment profile.

1. I’m using an 8-gallon SS pot for my mash/lauter tun. I have a false bottom that contains about 1.6 gallons under it. However, I can recover almost all of this water. It’s not deadspace, it’s foundation water or slack water. In any case, I can’t figure out how to get this set correctly in BS2. If I claim it’s deadspace, all the water volumes are off.

2. For my mash profile, I have selected: Temperature Mash, 1 Step, Full Body. When I go into the Mash tab, it shows Fly sparge. I’d like to change it to Batch sparge but it is grayed out and I can’t change it. Is there a way?

Thanks.[/quote]
After you mash and drain your tun pour out what’s left in the kettle. That’s your deadspace.

I think there are sample batch sparge profiles you can alter or you could create a new profile. Been a while since I set mine up.

Go to profiles in the top menu on Beersmith and see if there are any batch sparge mash profiles in your system already. You can set up a batch sparge mash profile fairly easily by clicking the add mash profile button. Add the mash steps you want, then check the batch sparge options you would like (use batch sparges that fill 90-95% to leave a little room for stirring, and then check use equal volume sparges) and it should calculate the correct volumes of water for your system. You do have to have your sytem entered already as well with your mash tun and kettle sizes, etc.

Try this: http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.ph … 140.0.html