Beers loosing carbination

So recently ive noticed that my beers have started to loose their carbination. the odd thing is that at after 2 weeks they had great carbonation. its now been about a month and the flavor of the beer is much better, but they are very flat. any ideas on why? it was 2 seperate batches of 1 gallon extract beers both of which used the fizz drops.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Your caps must not be tightened down all the way. Either that, or it could be a temperature thing. If you opened your first bottles while relatively warm, they would seem to have more carbonation than if you chill them well and open them cold.

+1 [quote=“dmtaylo2”]Your caps must not be tightened down all the way. Either that, or it could be a temperature thing. If you opened your first bottles while relatively warm, they would seem to have more carbonation than if you chill them well and open them cold.[/quote]

I have to agree with the cap issues…I once had a problem with a capper that wasn’t properly securing caps…I was able to twist the cap even after crimping…had to run to LHBS in the middle of bottling session to replace that capper. I’ve also observed with the standard hand held bottle capper, that if its working properly, there will usually be a round “dimple” in the top center of the cap after crimping…when I see that “dimple”, I get a comfortable feeling that my caps are securing and sealing properly…

Good luck!

I have to agree with the cap issues…I once had a problem with a capper that wasn’t properly securing caps…I was able to twist the cap even after crimping…had to run to LHBS in the middle of bottling session to replace that capper. I’ve also observed with the standard hand held bottle capper, that if its working properly, there will usually be a round “dimple” in the top center of the cap after crimping…when I see that “dimple”, I get a comfortable feeling that my caps are securing and sealing properly…

Good luck![/quote]
For me, the dimple depends on which type of bottle I’m using. Since I have a variety of bottles, somewhere around half of the bottles get the dimple and half do not. Both are sealed the same.

Also, some bottles have a different configuration at the top that don’t work well with some wing cappers - I got some Bass ale bottles that are marginal at best for capping with my red capper (like this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Bottle-Capper-Red-Baron-Homebrew/dp/B000Q6ARMY
Can you borrow a bench capper for your next batch and see if that makes a difference?

The “red baron” capper seemed to give me weak results. I had a metal version that seemed to only work for a few batches before it would get jammed pretty hard.

I used to have an old ALL metal capper that worked extremely well. It lasted for many decades before the gears were ground down. Similar to this one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-CAST-IR ... 35c47e2544

I’ve noticed that some bottles do not cap well also. Forget which brand it was, but never got the “dimple” on top of the cap. Only had a few, so just tossed them.

I bottled a batch of the White House Honey Porter (1gal) a month a go. After two weeks only one of the bottles had carbonation. (I used the fizz drops) I added more fizz drops and waited just shy of two weeks and popped the swing top and got a decent popping sounds but when I poured I got very little head and pretty much no carbonation. :?:

It is probably the swing top not sealing tightly. These are not nearly as reliable as regular bottles and caps

I find it odd some off the batch was fully carbonated and then the tail end was flat. Would a slow leak from a lose cap allow a beer to fully carbonate then lose carbonation? I’m thinking temperature or your cab tabs were inconsistent in size…or you lost count when bottling :?

I keg mostly, but then use flippies whenever possible. They have held through years of collaring, my friend brings me German beers that are all flip tops, so I have at least 50-60 half liter swing tops. When I give them away, I always suggest that they be returned empty and rinsed, if the recipient wants more beer in the future…

:cheers:

I was really wondering that as well, but I didn’t have an answer. You’d think the CO2 would just go right out of the bottle upon generation. Maybe some would stick in the beer and then slowly slip out of the bottle.

I thought I miscounted as well. But I’m pretty sure I didn’t. I think I added two fizz drops the next time. So maybe it was the seal on the bottle. But it popped when I opened it. Sounded kind of like champagne. But after that there was damn near no carbonation. Do fizz drops expire? I will try again with a mix of pry offs and swing top next time.

Let them sit in the fridge for a week or so, it sounds like the beer hasn’t fully absorbed all the co2

Everything OK now?

For me no… There was barely any carbonation. It still tasted ok. Thanks for the check in.