Beer style suggestion for a yeast cake

A buddy that wants to get into brewing came over for his first brewing session a couple weeks ago. To keep it real simple I used NB’s extremely simple Kolsch recipe (BIAB) for 5 gallon batch. Nothing more simple than 10# of Kolsch, a single addition of German Select at boil and Wyeast 2565 Kolsch yeast. After draining into a primary bucket and before pitching the yeast I let it settle for about 12 hours then racked to another primary so not very much trub in the primary now.

What beer style would really shine from that yeast cake? :?: Does influence of the yeast cake come mainly from the hop/trub sediment or the yeast strain?

It’s tempting to do a 3 gallon big beer and age it, but… I’m not very patient.

VK

I’m assuming you meant 10# of pilsner malt?

In any event, I’m not sure there are many styles that would really benefit from the esters/phenolics of a kolsch yeast (apple/pear/slight sulfur?) where you would need that big of a slug of yeast. I would suggest, if you like wheat beers, maybe an imperial wheat or wheat wine (though I can’t recall liking any example of either style), and as you say, maybe put a case of it away and let it age. Also, you could just do a bigger batch of a more neutral/moderate alcohol style.

Might also make for a decent braggot or mead, but I’m not sure of the alcohol tolerance of the strain.

To answer your other question, the influence comes from the character of the yeast itself, not the trub. The settle/decant method you did is a great way to go if you want to repitch/reuse yeast with minimal washing/rinsing between batches IME.

IMO unless you’re going to use the cake to ferment a big beer, you’re better off not using the entire cake. With that yeast, maybe an American wheat or an altbier. Kolsch yeast would probably make an interesting IPA.

Nope. http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brew … -malt.html

Mead? Like the idea but if the yeast is built for high alcohol is a very good question.
Imperial Wheat - Have never had one, I will have to seek out a couple examples to sample

I don’t brew on a regular schedule, usually few days notice thus I have only used a yeast cake twice, both times it was the same ESB recipe.

This is the first 5 gallon batch I’ve done in a very long time, my normal 10 gal batch could share that single cake.
Thanks for the feedback. :cheers:

Any more beer styles to suggest?

I’m about ready to use a Kolsch yeast to make an American pale ale. I heard a yeast experiment done on Basic Brewing Radio where they tried like 10 different yeast strains on an APA or IPA, and the one that everyone loved the best was the Kolsch yeast. I’m in the same boat, so that’s what I’m going to do with mine.

Interesting, I have to give that a try. I brew a Kolsch maybe once every other year, and I’ve never had a good use for the yeast after the single batch. Do you know what temperature they fermented at? Kolsch yeast is very sensitive to temperature with regards to the phenols it produces.

:cheers:
I’ll try to find that episode. Sounds very interesting. kcbeersnob had the same suggestion (IPA).
Thanks!

It might be the one from April 16, 2009. But don’t quote me on it.

EDIT: No, now I think it might be February 11, 2010. They’re probably both worth checking out.

EDIT #2: No, maybe it’s August 30, 2012. Gosh, I don’t know. It’s one of those.

[quote=“dmtaylo2”]

EDIT: No, now I think it might be February 11, 2010. They’re probably both worth checking out.[/quote]

I think it may be the one but… not using a yeast cake in the experiment. Listening at 2X speed…

When wondering what to do with a yeast, head to the manufactures
http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_yeaststrain_detail.cfm?ID=144
web site.

[quote] Origin:
Flocculation: low
Attenuation: 73-77%
Temperature Range: 56-70° F (13-21° C)
Alcohol Tolerance: approximately 10% ABV

Styles:
American Wheat or Rye Beer
Berliner Weisse
Bière de Garde
Cream Ale
Düsseldorf Altbier
Fruit Beer
Kölsch
Northern German Altbier
Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer[/quote]

No reason you could not make a mead with it. Use enough honey to get it to 9-10% and be dry or slightly sweet. Below 1.005