Beer strength

For decades now I have been brewing very successfully, and always assumed my beer was between 3.5- 4% a.b.v

I only use 2.5 kg dried spray malt per 5 gallon brew, but add no sugar. But a friend claimed my beer was good but dynamite.

Out of curiosity I tested it with my vinometer, which admittedly is not a scientific instrument. It gave me a reading of 7.5% which is dynamite.

Does anyone know the truth of the matter? Is my beer far too strong or is my vinometer totally unreliable?

R H Douglas

[quote=“R H Douglas”]For decades now I have been brewing very successfully, and always assumed my beer was between 3.5- 4% a.b.v

I only use 2.5 kg dried spray malt per 5 gallon brew, but add no sugar. But a friend claimed my beer was good but dynamite.

Out of curiosity I tested it with my vinometer, which admittedly is not a scientific instrument. It gave me a reading of 7.5% which is dynamite.

Does anyone know the truth of the matter? Is my beer far too strong or is my vinometer totally unreliable?

R H Douglas[/quote]

2.5kg in 5 gallon batch should give ~4.5-5%, depending on the dry malt. Take OG and FG readings to be sure.

Pretty much impossible for it to be that strong with the amount of malt you use. Depending on your FG, I’d guess it’s about 4.5-5% ABV.

Maybe the friend is just drinking too much of it.

If you’re fermenting too hot it might taste like rocket fuel thanks to too many fusels. Or your friend could just be a wuss.