Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Beer Smith Question

A local brewery gave 6 of their recipes to the public, but in percentages and not pounds and ounces. I just downloaded BeerSmith, but I can’t figure out how to convert the recipe to lbs. Can someone help? Here is one I want to convert:

Oatmeal Pale Ale

Batch Size: 5.5 Gallon

OG: 1.054
FG: 1.010

IBU: 35

SRM Target: 9

2 Row: 77%
Crystal 60L: 7%
Oat Malt: 16%

Hops:

Centennial: Bitter, Flavor, Aroma, Dry-hop
Citra: Flavor, Aroma, Dry-hop

Now that you have beersmith just enter your ingredients and play around with them until you hit the estimated OG of 1.054. For example, start with a 10lb grain bill and enter your ingredients. So you would have
7.7 lbs 2 row
1.6 lbs Oatmeal
.7 lbs Crystal

Work with it from there. Add each ingredient equally until you hit the OG.

As for the IBU’s you can do the same thing with each hop addition.

Cent: .5 oz @ 60 mins, .25 oz at 30 mins, .25 oz @ 2 mins
Citra: .5 oz at 30 mins, .25 oz at 2 mins

Don’t forget to figure in your dry hops! But if you work with the ingredients you can easily figure this out. It might not be the same since you don’t have the exact time the hop additions are (unless you didn’t post that), but you should get close.

Beersmith is awesome! I downloaded it a while ago and it really helped me out designing a few recipes. It’s fun to play around with and you can learn a bit about brewing too by using it

As already mentioned, add your grains until you roughly hit your OG, then on the side bar where you normally add grains is a ‘Grain pct’ option - click this and you can tailor the % of each grain to your needs.

Once you have your percentages right, you can clean up your OG by clicking the Gravity bar below (that’s the green, yellow, red bar) and type in your exact OG. This modifies the amount of grain across the board, maintaining your percentages. You can also do this with colour and IBU’s.

Edit: added info

The easier way to do it is to enter the percentages as pounds. Then use the adjust gravity feature to bring your gravity to what the recipe recommends.

Obviously do this before putting the hops in the recipe.

So as said earlier. Put in the numbers as lbs. So 77% = 77lb etc. Then (if you are on BeerSmith 2) go up to the “Adjust Gravity” Tab. Enter in 1.054 for your new gravity and BeerSmith will convert everything down for you. There you go!

[quote=“Belpaire”]The easier way to do it is to enter the percentages as pounds. Then use the adjust gravity feature to bring your gravity to what the recipe recommends.

Obviously do this before putting the hops in the recipe.[/quote]

Thats very cool, I entered that recipe in and had it matched up in about 2 minutes. I tried adjusting the color too, BeerSmith said I couldn’t with the grains entered. Added 1/2 ounce of debittered black malt, bingo!
Thanks Guys

A couple months late here, and I’m not sure if this was just added to the latest beersmith. There is now a grain percentage button, so with the base recipe you could’ve entered 1 lb of each grain, clicked this button and type your percentages.

How would it know the total weight you were after if you started with 1 lb each?

You can apply grain percentages, and following that there is a scale OG function. Simply type in your target OG and it keeps the correct grain percentages.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com