Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Beer Scores

I am wondering on kind of an average how long it takes to get score sheets in the mail from a competition?

5-10 days.

I am just getting anxious for my first comp results. Its been nine days and it only had to come half way across the state. I contacted them earlier today and they said that they were trying hard to have them in the mail by the weekend.

Many comps will list your scores and whether one of your entries placed or not on the registration site if you log in after the comp. Some comps e-mail score sheets, but most of the time you will be waiting for them in the mail.

Don’t forget, the bigger the comp the slower the scoresheets come back. A week is about minimum for snail mail. I wish more comps would scan and email sheets, thats the 21st century approach.

I agree. Score sheets that are available online are a nice feature.
FWIW I’ve never had score sheets or awards and prizes take more than 10days from any comp.

I did log into my account on the comp website and got my scores, but I am more concerned about the actual written feedback than I am a numerical score.

I agree about it would be nice to receive score sheets by email. It will eventually go all electronic with judges using tablets to fill out score sheets and then will easily be emailed to competitors.

I only enter 3 or 4 of the larger comps in the nation, never had to wait more than 5 days. Usually it is only 2 or 3.
I would say 2 -10 days though max

Hijacking warning: I’ve never done a competition before but when you log online can you view all of the scores, like times listed for a 5K race, or just your own? Just curious as to whether or not you can see how you fared against the competition in a category or even just how many beers were in that category.

The results that I got when I logged into my account were only my own. So I have no idea how I fared against others.

yep just your own. You never know how close you are to placing (which kind of sucks), I have had quite a few beers score great, 40-45+ and not place in the category.

That’s kind of crappy. Can you determine the number of entrants in a given category?

The cover sheet indicates the number of entries, and your place in that order as far as judging.

When they posted the results to the website, they also included how many entries were in that category.

Yep, many comps will list total number of entries and number of entries per category.
Some comps also have a minimum score for taking gold or silver.

some give them out some dont. A lot of comps will combine a lot of catagories if they do no have enough people entering in certain catagoiries

1+ I would really like to see all the scores too. In one of the last competitions I had a beer score 44 and it did not place. Actually, the winner only had a score of 40. That seems counter intuitive, but several beers advanced to a mini Best of Show (BOS) and at that point the initial scores are meaningless. The mini (or final round) BOS judges just taste all the beers side by side and decide which are the best beers.

Before I began judging, I didn’t understand how this could be possible. Now that I have judged several mini and final BOS contests I see that I have ended up picking different beers as the “best” when tasted side by side compared to the way I initially scored the beers. That’s been a really enlightening experience.

1+ I would really like to see all the scores too. In one of the last competitions I had a beer score 44 and it did not place. Actually, the winner only had a score of 40. That seems counter intuitive, but several beers advanced to a mini Best of Show (BOS) and at that point the initial scores are meaningless. The mini (or final round) BOS judges just taste all the beers side by side and decide which are the best beers.

Before I began judging, I didn’t understand how this could be possible. Now that I have judged several mini and final BOS contests I see that I have ended up picking different beers as the “best” when tasted side by side compared to the way I initially scored the beers. That’s been a really enlightening experience.[/quote]

an overall score of 44 or just from one judge? Overall scores just go in order.

I was in one comp (my first ever) where six weeks passed and nothing came. I emailed and they said they were going to get to them at the next club meeting the next weekend and mail them out. I think one club member felt like he had been saddled with more than his fair share of the work for the comp and mentally checked out when it was over. The truth is these things are run by volunteers and it’s amazing so many of them are run as well as they are.

I believe it should be a whole club effort for the whole competition. From excepting and organizing entries to getting scores mailed out. The common person is very interested in the score sheets, so by getting them out as quickly as possible only helps get more entries for the next year. If someone has to wait a long time they will be less likely to enter the following year.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com