Beer not doing anything

I made a brown on Saturday aug 3 2013. The yeast did its think and I switched it to the secondary carboy aug 7 2013 it bubbled last night and now it is dead aug 8.

That’s perfectly normal.

Fermentation should be complete before transferring the beer to a “bulk aging” vessel.

“Secondary fermentation” occurs when you add additional fermentables, Honey, fruit…

It is doing just what it is supposed to do. If you don’t have one, now would be a good time to get a hydrometer. That will tell you of it is truly finished.

In the future just leave it in the primary. Most of the kits out there have old instructions. By leaving leaving it in the primary you give the yeast a chance to clean up after themselves and less you transfer the beer less chance you have of oxidation and infection. Also it is easier. :0)

To make insure your beer is done (now and in the future) +1 on the hydrometer. After a week or two test it with the hydrometer, after a couple/three days test again. If the readings are same it’s pretty much done. After that you can bottle, personally I let it sit a few more days just for piece of mind.

Always remember that yeast finish on their own schedule and bubbles in the air lock aren’t always the best way to determine that it is finished.

Good luck!!

+1 To everything said.
The best and hardest thing to do is to be patient and let the yeast do its thing.
I use to think I had to get the beer in the secondary as soon as possible (from NB’s recipe sheets, pretty much brew my own recipes now) but I saw improvements in my brews by leaving it in the primary until bottling or if it needs aging.

Plus I have noticed the new brewers rely WAY too much on airlock activity (I know I sure did starting out) but get a Hydrometer and you never have to question what your brew is doing.

I had no idea that you didn’t have to put the beer in the secondary caboy. It is in there now and I still don’t think it is doing much. It has been at 1.028 for a week and a half.

im no expert but 1.028 seems a little high to me.most of my FG readings are 1.004.

Check your hydrometer for accuracy in RO or DI water. At the temp listed on the paperwork.

If it’s off, you can gently tap the ends to try to get the paper inside to shift. Or add some weight (nail polish) or file off some glass.

im no expert but 1.028 seems a little high to me.most of my FG readings are 1.004.[/quote]Yes, that’s too high unless the original gravity was in the 1.080’s. Sounds like you transferred too soon, 4 days is a pretty short time for yeast to do their thing if you fermented at a reasonably cool temperature, I don’t even mess with mine for at least 2 weeks, usually 3. I don’t know if pitching more yeast would do any good at this point, it may be worth a shot though. [quote=“vphoto”]I had no idea that you didn’t have to put the beer in the secondary caboy. [/quote]The general consensus is that a secondary isn’t necessary however many brewers use them for bulk aging, dry hopping, clarification, etc. The problem a lot of us have is with the terms “secondary fermenter” or “secondary fermentation”, it’s confusing to new brewers. As pointed out by Nighthawk above, it’s a conditioning stage, primary fermentation should be complete before transferring to a secondary vessel unless you’re going to add more fermentables.

i,as my own method and preference,put all my beers in secondary.just makes me feel better to get it off the yeast for some reason.i dont know why,i just do.

I’m with you. I have noticed my beers clear better in a secondary vessel. YMMV.

im no expert but 1.028 seems a little high to me.most of my FG readings are 1.004.[/quote]Yes, that’s too high unless the original gravity was in the 1.080’s. Sounds like you transferred too soon, 4 days is a pretty short time for yeast to do their thing if you fermented at a reasonably cool temperature, I don’t even mess with mine for at least 2 weeks, usually 3. I don’t know if pitching more yeast would do any good at this point, it may be worth a shot though. [quote=“vphoto”]I had no idea that you didn’t have to put the beer in the secondary caboy. [/quote]The general consensus is that a secondary isn’t necessary however many brewers use them for bulk aging, dry hopping, clarification, etc. The problem a lot of us have is with the terms “secondary fermenter” or “secondary fermentation”, it’s confusing to new brewers. As pointed out by Nighthawk above, it’s a conditioning stage, primary fermentation should be complete before transferring to a secondary vessel unless you’re going to add more fermentables.[/quote]

So i am going for a 1.01 reading before ever moving the beer.

Don’t move the beer until its done fermenting. Confirm this with your hydrometer or refractometer. This is why most people will just leave it in primary for 2 weeks. It is likely done fermenting at that point.

[quote=“vphoto”]So i am going for a 1.01 reading before ever moving the beer.
[/quote]Not necessarily, when I was brewing with extracts most of my average gravity brews would finish in the mid teens. Like Loopie said, take a gravity reading after 2 weeks and then a few days later, if they’re the same you can go ahead and bottle it or rack it to a secondary vessel for conditioning.