Beer kegged, CO2 ran, bled pressure

Here’s an “Is my beer ruined” question. Haven’t asked one in a long time, but I haven’t been kegging that long…

Kegged a NB Rye Stout today, gonna be excellent. Checked the CO2 tonight to make sure it was at my preferred “set and wait” pressure, and it read a little low. Tried to turn the pressure up, and nothing. At this point I figured my gauges may be faulty. I bled the keg, and then tried to turn everything on and off. Heard no “hiss” of CO2 going into keg. Took regulator off, and it turns out my tank is empty, and my high pressure gauge apparently doesn’t work.

Gonna go get the tank filled tomorrow, as it’s too late to do tonight, and I’m wondering if I run a high risk of oxidation since I bled pressure from keg. The lid seems to still maintain a seal but I’m not sure if bleeding out that CO2 “blanket” will cause oxidation damage to the beer as it sits overnight. Any and all info is appreciated.

You didn’t introduce any oxygen that wasn’t already there. If it had been pressurized at all, any oxygen would likely have been at the top of the keg and been the first gas bled off when you vented. Even if there was some remaining, CO2 that comes out of the solution (because the pressure in the head space was lowered) would form a blanket between any remaining oxygen and the beer. You’ll be fine.

Thanks man,
It’s amazing that as I read your response I thought, “I should know that.” I guess two years into this hobby, I still freak out when I encounter a situation I haven’t run into before.

Either way, gonna fill the thank tomorrow, and start carbing this beer. Also kegging my Falconer’s Flight IPA tomorrow, and as of now have the new regulator on order (more money in homebrewing equipment, sweet).

Thanks man. Cheers.