Beer in France

The French government has proposed a 160 percent increase in the tax on beer:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/27/world ... plans.html

France imposing ludicrous taxes?!!? Whaaaaaa???

Hmm. That’s a pretty wide swing in estimates. But hey, what’s an order of magnitude between friends?

Also,

It’s certainly unfair that wine will be getting taxed at a lower rate per unit of volume than beer if the hike passes, but if the tax is still lower than Britain’s then I’m skeptical about the idea that it would be apocalyptic for France’s beer industry.

Beer is already crazy expensive in some parts. More like 5-6 euro. I saw Budweiser on a menu for 7 euro! Imagine paying almost $10 for a Bud!

That would be crazy. Heres to hoping taxes on beer in the US stay down.

[quote=“Adam20”]
That would be crazy. Heres to hoping taxes on beer in the US stay down.[/quote]

Id be ok as long as taxes dont go up on barley hops yeast and water 8)

High alcohol taxes are a way of life here in Canada. High taxes in general. I certainly would like the price of beer to be a little lower but what can you do. I think we get pretty good value in public services for the taxes we pay so whatever.

The way things are going these days I imagine the US is going to have to increase taxation in some form or another whether it is popular or not. But I suppose that is non of my business.

You should see the taxes people pay on cigarettes here. I think the price of a pack of 25 is something like $12-14 CND now. I’d much rather overpay for beer.

[quote=“Brew Meister Smith”]High alcohol taxes are a way of life here in Canada. High taxes in general. I certainly would like the price of beer to be a little lower but what can you do. I think we get pretty good value in public services for the taxes we pay so whatever.

The way things are going these days I imagine the US is going to have to increase taxation in some form or another whether it is popular or not. But I suppose that is non of my business.

You should see the taxes people pay on cigarettes here. I think the price of a pack of 25 is something like $12-14 CND now. I’d much rather overpay for beer.[/quote]

Of course its your business! Its everybodies business in my opinion. Its just interesting. People do tend to get riled about these things though…

Im afraid this thread may get pulled, but my view on the matter is that its a spending issue here in America. Not a tax revenue issue. Many disagree with me though.

[quote=“bdaugherty”][quote=“Adam20”]
That would be crazy. Heres to hoping taxes on beer in the US stay down.[/quote]

Id be ok as long as taxes dont go up on barley hops yeast and water 8) [/quote]

Well said!

You know what they call a Quarter Pounder with cheese in France?

Haha no. What?

Have you been to a big concert or sporting event recently?

Haha no. What?[/quote]

And a Big Mac is still a Big Mac… Just Le Big Mac.

Haha no. What?[/quote]

And a Big Mac is still a Big Mac… Just Le Big Mac.[/quote]
Correctamundo. :lol:

Haha no. What?[/quote]
A Royale with cheese. You know why they call it that?

[quote=“mvsawyer”]A Royale with cheese. You know why they call it that?[/quote]Been watching some quality Samuel L. Jackson and John Travolta footage recently? Or just reminiscing on a great scene? Or both?

Edit: BTW, in France they actually call it a “Royal Cheese”, at least that’s what my mom told me (she retired to Montpelier).

Have you been to a big concert or sporting event recently?[/quote]

Good point, but at least that’s usually a big cup, not a 12oz bottle. No one in their right mind would pay stadium prices at a restaurant, though.

Because of the metric system?

Man…Good thing I moved back to the states 10 months ago! I was getting sick of the beer prices where I was at in France. Cant imagine paying even more when out for dinner

Budweiser counts as an import in France, right?

I’ve seen plenty of restaurants here in the US trying to sell imported macro for similar prices. Between that and France’s higher cost of living overall, without hearing a bit more about the context I’m not sure 7€ for a Bud is too shocking to me.