Beer Camping

Hi Mike! Great to see you there. I feel like I’m just beginning to reconnect with reality! It would be great if you’d post your impressions, too.

So did you have to twist any arms to make an alt? I am assuming that was your idea.

Good looking malt bill, have you used Gambrinus Munich before? I just got some Cargill Munich, havne’t tried it yet. What is your intended bitterness, something around 30 IBUs?

Talk about coincidence, I just brewed an alt on Sunday. I used pale ale, Munich, Vienna and a little wheat malt, and at the last I threw in a bit of Carafa Special 2.

[quote=“tom sawyer”]So did you have to twist any arms to make an alt? I am assuming that was your idea.

Good looking malt bill, have you used Gambrinus Munich before? I just got some Cargill Munich, havne’t tried it yet. What is your intended bitterness, something around 30 IBUs?

Talk about coincidence, I just brewed an alt on Sunday. I used pale ale, Munich, Vienna and a little wheat malt, and at the last I threw in a bit of Carafa Special 2.[/quote]

I was advocating for a rye bock, but only a couple of the other guys wanted to do that. I thought it was a pretty different idea, but what the hey. Someone else (Mike, was it you?) suggested an alt and mentioned a recipe of mine called Zoom Alt. We loosely based the grist on that, with suggestions from Scott Jennings the pilot brewmaster. We were going for a 1.065ish OG and 40-42 IBU…more of a sticke. Haven’t used the Gambrinus Munich before…it was what they had on hand. We also put just a bit of crystal in it, which I wasn’t too hot on, but Scott seemed to think it was needed. And hey, I’m not gonna argue with him!

Well, that was fun–thanks for sharing! Almost felt like being there. I can imagine how you must feel!

Oddly, I’m brewing a sticke rye alt, with crystal.

Can I have some? :smiley:

Oddly enough I brewed mine as a sticke too although I didn’t boil it quite to 2.5gal so I ound up at 1.066, right in between the alt and sticke alt. I used a little caramunich I. just 4% of the grist and I added 10% sugar by points to ensure a dry finish. I used dark Munich and a little melanoidin since I didn’t decoct. I used Spalt at 30 IBUs, no flavor hops and of course WY1007. I was surprised to see they had 1007 on hand for you to use, that is sweet.

Rye bock sounds interesting too, I’m growing up some WLP830 right now and was thinking of a doing a bock since my last one didn’t turn out well and I have a friend that likes bock. What kind of rye % would you think Denny?

Oddly enough I brewed mine as a aticke too although I didn’t boil it quite to 2.5gal so I ound up at 1.066, right in between the alt and sticke alt. I used a little caramunich I. just 4% of the grist and I added 10% sugar by points to ensure a dry finish. I used dark Munich and a little melanoidin since I didn’t decoct. I used Spalt at 30 IBUs, no flavor hops and of course WY1007. I was surprised to see they had 1007 on hand for you to use, that is sweet.
[/quote]

They cultured up the 1007 just for us. We were one of the few groups in Beer Camp that commuicted on recipe ideas before we got there. They told us they’d get us any yeast we wanted, so when we decided on alt we went with 1007. Here’s the yeast for 20 bbl.

The one I made in the past was about 15% rye. I wouldn’t go much less than that.

I was just going to make an Alt, but as I was going through my specialty grains I seen the bag of rye. So I added all 1.5 lbs of rye making it a 12 lb grain bill. It will be 6% ABV or a little more. So is Uerige Sticke
http://www.uerige.de/en/produkte/bier/uerige-sticke/
. I’m not sure if the 12% of CMC rye malt will be noticed over the three oz. of late hops. If it sucks you can’t have any Denny.

I didn’t figure they were using that yeast in their brewery. It was nice that they procured it for you, and that is one big starter!

[quote=“Conroe”]I was just going to make an Alt, but as I was going through my specialty grains I seen the bag of rye. So I added all 1.5 lbs of rye making it a 12 lb grain bill. It will be 6% ABV or a little more. So is Uerige Sticke
http://www.uerige.de/en/produkte/bier/uerige-sticke/
. I’m not sure if the 12% of CMC rye malt will be noticed over the three oz. of late hops. If it sucks you can’t have any Denny.[/quote]

I love the Uerige alt but am not as fond of their sticke. I’ve tried a few alts but have never been really happy with my results. We’ll see how this one goes, I used less Munich for a softer bready flavor, and no flavor/aroma additions. Just a single firm bittering charge.

IMO rye alt is not great, it’s too roggenbierish.

Thanks for the pics Denny I really enjoyed them. I wish I could have gone. :frowning:

1 Like

Note to self, add Sierra Nevada Beer Camp to the bucket list

1 Like

The beer finally arrives in town this week and I’ll have a chance to taste it to see if we made a horse or a camel!