Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

BCJP tasting exam question

One thing I am trying to figure out unsuccessfully is, are you provided with the style or are you to figure it out? Does this also mean the category # and subcategory?

Cramming for a test Saturday and all suggestions appreciated.

Thanks!

If it’s like it was back when I took it (we used stone tablets then), they tell you the style (including #s) you should judge the beer to. Just like in a real comp.

Yes they tell you the style and numbers. The scoresheet is just like the normal score sheets except the checkboxes on the left hand side of the scoresheet are not there. (so you don’t have the off flavor hints)

Thanks guys! I got a bit excited to the see the off flavor hints on the sheet, good to know. Kinda weirded out that that I’ll be drinking beer at 9am in a church… :lol:

You might burst into fire… but hopefully you pass the exam first :smiley:

As an altar boy I used to stock the fridge for the priests. No belgians, just BMC :lol:

Hopefully they attend regular confessions for these sins 8)

:lol:

Dropped some coin and got some samples to judge. Kind of interesting that it is rather difficult to find more than IPA’s or belgians these days. Was kind looking forward to a trying some styles I haven’t had in ages. Scotch ale, old ale, barleywine. Grabbed Newcastle in the can and it was OK. Forgot how much more I like Murphy’s stout over Guinness. Was even a bit weirded out that I drank like 3 beers and barely felt the effects.

Dropped some coin and got some samples to judge. Kind of interesting that it is rather difficult to find more than IPA’s or belgians these days. Was kind looking forward to a trying some styles I haven’t had in ages. Scotch ale, old ale, barleywine. Grabbed Newcastle in the can and it was OK. Forgot how much more I like Murphy’s stout over Guinness. Was even a bit weirded out that I drank like 3 beers and barely felt the effects.[/quote]

I told my wife that I judged 14 APA’s and 12 IPA’s in a comp about an hour away and she at first was concerned that I drove home. After explaining that I had drunk the equivalent of about 2 beers in 5 hours she felt worse for my writing hand than for my liver.

I did have a few friends offer me rides when I explained to them I was judging 6 beers in 90 minutes… :smiley:

I am actually concerned of the legibility of my handwriting affecting my score… Gonna actually do some written judging over the next few days.

I have been wanting to do this for sometime but what really got me fired up was tasting a “pro” beer that was so bad I was appalled. I ended up dumping it and it was NOT infected. It was a fusel bomb.

When judging do you find most beers pretty good? My sampling of other homebrewer’s work locally is that most are mediocre at best and yet some of these guys are winning awards… Just curious.

[quote=“zwiller”]I did have a few friends offer me rides when I explained to them I was judging 6 beers in 90 minutes… :smiley:

I am actually concerned of the legibility of my handwriting affecting my score… Gonna actually do some written judging over the next few days.

I have been wanting to do this for sometime but what really got me fired up was tasting a “pro” beer that was so bad I was appalled. I ended up dumping it and it was NOT infected. It was a fusel bomb.

When judging do you find most beers pretty good? My sampling of other homebrewer’s work locally is that most are mediocre at best and yet some of these guys are winning awards… Just curious.[/quote]

Explain to your friends that judging is very different from drinking!

Bad professional beers are really challenging. Even with a BJCP designation, pro brewers will not necessarily listen to constructive feedback, which sucks. They just continue to contaminate the gene pool of craft beer and probably manage to turn a few people away from the category.

I find that, if hanging out with friends, about 60% of the beers I judge I would finish. You can usually catch many of the flaws with your nose. A bit more specifically, this is the way I base my scores:
45+ = plan a vacation around it (Cantillon, Pliny for us east coasters)
~40 = road trip to get it (Hill Farmstead, Alchemist)
~35 = typical craft beer, worth getting if you’re in the area (Surly, Ithaca, Six Point, Sweetwater)
~30 = So-so commercial craft beer, worth drinking if you’re at the bar
~25 = Will finish the pint, won’t get a second one, might send it back.
~20 = Have trouble finishing the pint, will send it back if you can.
~15 = Have trouble drinking more than a few sips, definitely send it back or leave it unfinished. Rinse your mouth out afterwards.
13 (this is the minimum score I give and kind of equivalent to putting your name on the SAT’s)= Smell it, gag a bit, decide not to drink it. Consider using it as weed killer.")

PM me if you want and I can send you some great test taking resources from one of our local National judges. This stuff really focuses on how to score well on the exam and developing some routines to be consistent. If I were you, I’d be filling out 3-4 scoresheets per night, except friday. Also, judge the same beer in different categories (ex. judge Sam Adams Boston Lager as a N. German Alt, an American Brown, and as a Vienna).

And. Write legibly. On the exam and when you judge!

Thanks. In talking things over with my wife (who is also concerned with my handwriting) I am probably going to do a rough draft first on scratch and then re-write on the score sheet. Hopefully that will be permitted. Also I need to time myself as I found this could be an issue if I re-write.

Take a look at this info for your tasting exam. It is the latest BJCP grading info for the tasting exam. I details what a good score sheet looks like.
http://www.bjcp.org/docs/BJCP_Scoresheet_Guide.pdf

FWIW, Since most BJCP graders are looking for completely filled out score sheets (AKA "all lines filled up completely) I doubt you would have time to re-write your scoresheets and you would never do this in an actual competition anyway.

Yep, looks I won’t have time to re-write. I have never have been good at conveying my thoughts in prose. That is my weakness.

Right now I am kinda stumped on scoring points especially in context of Pietro’s ratings and reviewing commercial beer. IE I reviewed Dos Equis/vienna lager. I think it is a decent beer but does rather well in terms of fitting to style. Mine was (surprise) very lightstruck but otherwise spot on. I scored it mid 30s. If a guy served to me and told be it was homebrew I would be impressed… I might be putting too much emphasis on the homebrewing aspect. I imagine if I had that fresh on draft I would take that to the 40’s. Am I off my rocker. I mean, it’s Dos Equis.

OK. My first exam is in the history books. Was more challenging than anticipated. All 6 beers were homebrews and none were adulterated…

Beer 1: American premium lager
Beer 2: Cream Ale (Oh crap… they ain’t fooling - the first 2 were pretty dang similar!)
Beer 3: German Pils
Beer 4: Hefeweizen - best beer IMO
Beer 5: APA
Beer 6: Biere De Garde

All beers were good and much better made than typical for guys in my area. I cannot imagine any were extract beers or kits. Most of the faults were actually quite minor.

The hefe was exceptional but a bit heavy on the banana. APA was too aggressive (think IPA) but really good. The biere de garde was actually a Oud Bruin (flanders) and obviously a “judge within the style” beer, but quite a dang good sour beer though… I think some guys took a hit on this one.

The folks who put the exam were well organized and considerate and did a great job. It was a pleasant (but intense) experience. Was totally stoked at the end of the exam we went over the scoring and etc with the proctors (grand master and 2 nationals) and my scoring and thoughts were matching pretty good.

We’ll see in a few months…

[quote=“zwiller”]OK. My first exam is in the history books. Was more challenging than anticipated. All 6 beers were homebrews and none were adulterated…

Beer 1: American premium lager
Beer 2: Cream Ale (Oh crap… they ain’t fooling - the first 2 were pretty dang similar!)
Beer 3: German Pils
Beer 4: Hefeweizen - best beer IMO
Beer 5: APA
Beer 6: Biere De Garde

All beers were good and much better made than typical for guys in my area. I cannot imagine any were extract beers or kits. Most of the faults were actually quite minor.

The hefe was exceptional but a bit heavy on the banana. APA was too aggressive (think IPA) but really good. The biere de garde was actually a Oud Bruin (flanders) and obviously a “judge within the style” beer, but quite a dang good sour beer though… I think some guys took a hit on this one.

The folks who put the exam were well organized and considerate and did a great job. It was a pleasant (but intense) experience. Was totally stoked at the end of the exam we went over the scoring and etc with the proctors (grand master and 2 nationals) and my scoring and thoughts were matching pretty good.

We’ll see in a few months…[/quote]
Good luck on your score.

sounds like it was a well-run exam. My second try (I got 76 my first time and took it again to try to get 80+) was a complete $#!+show as far as the administration. This guy was doctoring beers with cheap vodka, blending beers together, and all this other noise to try to get ‘flawed’ beers. I think what he created will be a big delta between proctors and examinees. If I ever run an exam, there will be fake butter in a porter, and an oxidized pilsner…and maybe a vinegared APA to test for feedback. Good to hear yours was a bit more ‘professional’!

diacetyl isn’t a good choice to spike with for the exam since a large portion of the population is blind to it.

diacetyl isn’t a good choice to spike with for the exam since a large portion of the population is blind to it.[/quote]

myself included! Well, at least I have a high threshold. Missed it on a schwarz on my first exam…

Do I understand that I should be trying to get some points (10) in now even though my score is not determined? Going for certified at least…

Kinda disappointed there is a written exam next month in same location but I won’t have my score so I can’t take it…

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com