Bayou Double Jet, anyone using?

Hi All, with the advent of my new keggle comes the larger/hotter burner requirement. I’m looking at Bayou Kick-a-banjo and came across the Bayou Double Jet. Does anyone have constructive comment on either? If so;

How’s it produce with a 10+ gallon boil, good, great, crappy, so-so?

How many batches of either 5 or 10 gallon do you get out of a standard propane tank assuming outdoor, mild breeze and a 60-minute boil?

I found a site where I can get get either for roughly $90, is that a deal? If not, any tips?

Thanks fellas,
Mike

I have two single jets (SP-1s I think) on a T so I can use them with one propane tank and they are very loud (not called “jet” for nothing) and eat propane but they are very hot, too, putting lots of heat in one small area. I imagine that a double jet would boil wort quickly, but you’ll want to watch for scorching.

Thanks. Our host has the large kick a banjo for what appears to be a reasonable price. Any input on that one? I think a lot of guys use it.

Mike

I’ve got the double jet you’re speaking of, and I can vouch for it being a propane hog.

I originally had it for seafood boils…maybe 2-4 a year so propane use didn’t really add up. It will bring water to boil quickly with an aggressive flame, but will suck some gas at the same time especially on a windy day.

If I had a choice, I would go with the banjo. Tomorrow I’ll be putting an aluminum shield on mine to see if that eases gas use at all.

I like my KAB-6, the one with the larger stand designed to hold keggles. Quiet, lots of heat distributed across a larger area so no scorching, and stingy on the propane. With 210K BTUs it’s great for anything up to 15 gallons. Wish they made a 400K model for the bigger batches, though.

Does it cause the propane tank to freeze up when its running wide open on a cold day?

Shady; that’s the one I just pulled the trigger on! Cannot wait. It will lose its cherry the same time my keggle does. Love is in the air.

[quote=“tom sawyer”]Does it cause the propane tank to freeze up when its running wide open on a cold day?[/quote]Nope, doesn’t even form ice on the tank, although it does get cold. Haven’t had any issues with losing pressure or having to switch tanks.

Good then I’ll be laying one of those in soon as well. The stand on my little turkey fryer kind of leans when I stick 17gal of wort on it. I’d hate to get hit by a tidal wave of boiling wort. I’d be crying for so many reasons at that point.

[quote=“tom sawyer”]The stand on my little turkey fryer kind of leans when I stick 17gal of wort on it.[/quote]Nothing much worse than seeing the kettle start to tip - I had a keggle slide off the jet burner stand but luckily I was right there to catch it and it wasn’t yet boiling so no harm done.

Yep, I love my KAB6’s.

However, I also own a couple of SP2’s and here is what the full bore flame on that bad boy looks like. The neighbors hate it! :lol:

[quote=“Baratone Brewer”]Yep, I love my KAB6’s.

However, I also own a couple of SP2’s and here is what the full bore flame on that bad boy looks like. The neighbors hate it! :lol:

[/quote]

Yessir I do agree with that SP2 being a loud mother, neighbors always hear when I fire the jet up on Saturday morning!!
I’ve given up on carrying a cell phone while brewing…i never hear it!

Just got a KAB6 delivered and thought I’d check out what is said about it here. Found this old thread, complete with my questions. Sad that it took me 11 months to pull the trigger on this thing. We’ll be brewing a 15gal batch on it tomorrow. Some of the reviews said the stand sits up too high off the burner, if so I will have my welder friend modify it.

It depends on your kettle. If it’s a keggle, then you need to raise the burner. If it’s a flat-bottomed pot, no need - you are ready to go.

[quote=“fightdman”]It depends on your kettle. If it’s a keggle, then you need to raise the burner. If it’s a flat-bottomed pot, no need - you are ready to go.[/quote]+1 I modified mine when I was using a keggle, then flipped it back to the original configuration with the new flat-bottomed kettle. I do run a strip of aluminum foil around the outside edge of the burner section to act as a wind screen and focus the heat better, works great.

I love my banjo burner its quiet and easy on gas I use a 30lb tank to feed it so freeze up is no problem. Besides once up to boil your not going to run it wide open so freeze up should not be a problem. I’ve used it with up to 28 gallon kettles.