Bayou Classic Pots

Found a 16 Gallon one on Amazon for $103.00 but was wanting to know who has one. All I can determine is that it is 20 gauge SS. I want a pot with a stronger bottom than I have now. Currently using an cheapo 8 gallon SS turkey fryer pot that is very thin. The other feature I need is to have it marked in gallons and it doesn’t specify.

http://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-106 ... rew+kettle

I’m wondering if the kettle on Amazon is a lesser version of the one on their web site. The one on the Bayou website says the bottom is “triclad” to prevent scorching.

Hey Dog!
I have a ten gal. Bayou Classic with the layered bottom & marked in 1/4 gal. increments. It also came with a valve screen, valve, thermometer, and false bottom for about $130. Had it for about a year and love it. Now i’m thinking about a larger one for 10 gal. batches on occasion. I’d definitely look into another Bayou. :slight_smile:

Oh BTW, i believe i found it on ebay!

Thirsty, thanks…I think I am correct to assume there are different grades of pots…the one I was looking at is a stock pot (which I had planned to drill for a spigot) but I think it is of a lesser quality.

This one is a full 16 gallons:

http://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-106 ... rew+kettle

Just a heads up… there were some CRAZY cheap deals for Bayou pots on Amazon 2 weeks ago. A few guys from my brew club placed orders and shortly there after were sent emails saying the pricing was a mistake and the orders would not process. These deals were ridiculous though… like the pot you’re referencing for something like $28! Apparently the company who was selling them has a bad history of posting bad prices and not fulfilling orders.

Just be sure to check the sellers reviews if not sold by Amazon.

I have a 20gal Bayou Classic, no clad bottom just an inexpensive kettle. I paid around $100 but its been awhile and I don’t remember the exact price. I added my own brewmometer and no-weld valve. I’m happy with it, it was one of the cheapest 20gal kettles I could find.

Thanks Lennie…there are definitely different grades of pots from Bayou Classic. I’m going to see what Home Depot has since they sell BC pots.

I checked out Home Depot out of curiosity, they do have several BC options. The cheaper ones are aluminum, nothing wrong with that. I have SS, didnt see any clad bottomed stuff. Don’t need it really.

I bought a Bayou Classic 30 qt. brew/mash kettle with a false bottom for around $220 from Amazon back in September. All in all, it’s a high quality setup that works great for me and is really easy to clean after brewing. The only problem (which is kind of a big one, as far as value for money is concerned) is the built-in thermometer, which simply doesn’t really work at all. It only works sporadically, and it never matches the reading I get from the floating thermometer I use in the unit instead. That having been said, I have to question the usefulness of a built-in thermometer in a mash tun anyway, because of the fact that it cannot be moved around, and can only ever check the temp in the spot it’s rooted to. I prefer a floating thermometer that I can move around because a mash tun is always going to have hot and cold spots, and you can never really be confident that the temp you’re reading in any one spot is a reliable indicator of the temp for the mash as a whole. Apart from that problem with the thermometer, though, I have to say that the unit feels quite solidly built to me, and it’s way less expensive than one from Blickmann. Their stuff just seems way overpriced to me. I hope that info was useful.

Yes sir very helpful. I agree on the thermometer. I will probably buy the pot and drill a hole for a spigot. By next spring I want a 15 gallon brew pot with a spigot where I can run my wort through either a plate chiller or a counter-flow. This time of year the immersion chiller I got cools a 5 gal batch in about 15-20 minutes but that won’t be the case when my water warms up. Also good points on the mash tun. I see all grain in my future just not quite sure when yet.

I don’t use my kettle for a mashtun (I mash in a cooler), just for heating water and boiling wort. I love the thermometer, I use it to check my mash water temp and to know when the wort is chilled after boiling.

Yes sir very helpful. I agree on the thermometer. I will probably buy the pot and drill a hole for a spigot. By next spring I want a 15 gallon brew pot with a spigot where I can run my wort through either a plate chiller or a counter-flow. This time of year the immersion chiller I got cools a 5 gal batch in about 15-20 minutes but that won’t be the case when my water warms up. Also good points on the mash tun. I see all grain in my future just not quite sure when yet.[/quote]

I forgot to mention that my kettle does have volume markings on the sides. I actually forgot to look into that before I bought it, too. I’m glad those are there. I brewed for years in a kettle that didn’t have those, and I hated having to trust myself to cut off the boil when I thought I had reached the final volume by visual approximation alone. Don’t forget to verify that feature before you buy a kettle!

Check this deal out $203 bucks…not a bad deal.

http://www.meatprocessingproducts.com/b ... 7AodviQAhA

[quote=“Scalded Dog”]Check this deal out $203 bucks…not a bad deal.

http://www.meatprocessingproducts.com/b ... 7AodviQAhA

[/quote]

That looks like the exact same one I bought. The price you’re quoting is pretty darn good, about $20 cheaper than what I got it for. You won’t regret buying it, but be prepared to use your own floating thermometer, for reasons I stated before. I’ve had great success with it as a mash tun.

That is a good deal. It’s exactly what i use, but i only got the 10 gal. version. :cheers:

Hopefully Santa will bring me a brew pot…God knows I left him enough hints :slight_smile: If he doesn’t deliver I know where to get one.

Dang…Santa let me down…so I just ordered it. That same pot with false bottom and bazooka screen is almost double what I paid for it on the Bayou Classic website.

they are cheap and thin compared to other brew pots.

They work just fine too.

This is completely wrong. UPS just delivered the pot and it’s rock solid with a very thick bottom. The sides are 20 gauge and the lid and other components (spigot, bazooka screen, false bottom and thermometer are all great. They also include a heat shield. I think the standard every day pots from Bayou Classic are in fact thinner and cheaper, but this one I bought is a purpose built brew pot. The only issue I have now is it’s so big that I will need a new burner. Also when I brew 5 gal batches my current immersion chiller won’t work too well…I had planned to buy either a counter flow or plate chiller anyway.