Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Bavarian Hefeweizen

Just cracked one open last night after 2 weeks of carbonation. It could probably use another week to reach its full potential but this beer is awesome! I got a light banana flavor, balanced out by a residual sweetness. I couldn’t tell if the sweetness was because of the banana or not. Silky smooth mouthfeel and all the hefeweizen goodness in the end. Anyone wanting a good hefeweizen should really try this extract kit. It’s ready to drink in ~4 weeks. I used the Danstar Munich Wheat dry yeast for this brew. I already can’t wait to get home and pop open a few more.

:cheers:

Michael,

how does it compare to the dunkelweizen you brought over last fall?

bob

Better! Maybe because the DW’s were some of our first brews. This hefeweizen tastes much cleaner and a lot more smooth. Kept the ferm temp right at 65*F the whole time. I know that we had no control of the DW’s temps. We may just have to plan a brewday and sample :slight_smile: This one’s definitely worth sharing.

Michael

Great Beer! I believe that kit can be a mainstay in anyones repertoire that likes hefe’s. I added a pound of orange blossom honey to secondary, finished it out at 6 weeks and it was great. Except for one thing; I f’ed up the conditioning and ended up with half not carbed sufficiently. However I drank em all. It was that good.

Mike

[quote=“mvsawyer”]Better! Maybe because the DW’s were some of our first brews. This hefeweizen tastes much cleaner and a lot more smooth. Kept the ferm temp right at 65*F the whole time. I know that we had no control of the DW’s temps. We may just have to plan a brewday and sample :slight_smile: This one’s definitely worth sharing.

Michael[/quote]

I’ve got the DW in a keg now and sampled it last night. Good, not great, but then it isn’t fully carb’d yet either. LOL, I’m always up for sharing.

cheers.

I just compared the two recipes and the hefe has all wheat LME & DME while the dunkel’s recipe is less than half wheat with sweet Munich LME making up 45% of it. Maybe I’ll give the DW another try but sub wheat DME for the amber.

My Bavarian Hefeweizen batch is conditioning in the bottles as we speak, and I can’t be more excited to try one now after your post! A good hefeweizen is probably one of my favorite beers!

Hey guys, I’m scraping by with only four or five bottles left of the bavarian weisse I made a few months back. If you haven’t tried open fermentation before, I’d recommend the hefe. Holy moly! It was a sight to see. And turned out great. Awesome way to let the yeast go bananas – pun intended – and still end up with an amazingly drinkable brew.

I was never a big fan of wheat beers until I started brewing. I guess I had a hoegaarden at one point and thougth “Well, I don’t like that. Guess I’m not a wheat fan”. Boy was I wrong. My wife (who got me started brewing with a starter kit last christmas) loves wheats. So our deal was I can pretty much buy what I want for brewing, within reason, as long as there’s always a wheat beer in the house. And after I’ve brewed 4 wheats in the last year, I have to say I’m a big fan! I was more of a hop head, but I think the complete contrast of a wheat to an IPA or APA is what I really enjoy. There’s also a bar in Philly that I found and now frequent called Brauhaus Schmitz. You can tell by the name that it’s a German bar with authentic German food and some for the best beers I’ve ever had. And when you get a glass of beer here, you get a MONSTER glass. 2 beers and you’ll be well on your way to needing a cab to get home.

dobe12, I needed a new bar in Philly! (Business takes me down quite often). I’m a fan of any place that serves german beers in the correct glass (1/2 liter, liter). Will have to check it out!

It’s on South Street between 7th and 8th I believe. Can’t miss it. It’s on the south side of the street. Big arch over the front. Big white/blue flag hanging out front. You’ll love it!

If you haven’t been there, there’s another place in the city called Monks Cafe. Its another jem. Fantastic Belgian Bar more in center city… something like 19th and Walnut. Has one of the best craft beer selections in the city.

Yep. Been to Monks. Great Pommes Frittes! Love the other better-known beer bars too: Eulogy, Triumph, Society Hill, Nodding Head, McGillins. Just discovered this little gem in 30th Street station and am cursing the fact that I’ve never seen it before. Don’t know the name but several beauties on tap. Lots of good beer bars these days in Philly!

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com