Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Batch sparging( do i need to add anything )

new to all grain so my question is this when you batch sparge is there any thing that needs to be added to the grain bill ? I think I read somewhere that you need to add more grains. but now I can’t find where I read it. I am going to start out buying all grain kits from northern brewer. until I get the feel of doing all grain. any help would be appreciated .

Nope, no need to add anything(with the possible exception of salts or acid to your sparge water, but that’s another topic).

There are lots of articles by experts and pseudo experts saying that everybody knows batch sparging is less efficient than fly sparging. Like most things that everybody knows, it isn’t necessarily so.

After you’ve brewed a couple of batches you’ll know what efficiency YOU get with your system. If your efficiency is lower than you like, you’ll obviously want to improve it, but if you like the beer you’re producing you may be better off living with a lower efficiency and drinking good beer.

There are lots of articles by experts and pseudo experts saying that everybody knows batch sparging is less efficient than fly sparging. Like most things that everybody knows, it isn’t necessarily so.

After you’ve brewed a couple of batches you’ll know what efficiency YOU get with your system. If your efficiency is lower than you like, you’ll obviously want to improve it, but if you like the beer you’re producing you may be better off living with a lower efficiency and drinking good beer.[/quote]

Great advice! No matter what equipment or technique you use, you’ll likely have to adjust the recipe to suit your style.

thanks for the quick responses. for some reason I thought I read that you should adjust the grain bill like 10 % more when you batch sparge. but it sounds like there is no need too. thanks again.

I don’t get quite the efficiency, but I am happy with the beer I make, so I’m good with it. I used to fly sparge, but only batch sparge now. Sometimes, I’ll add a little base malt. I’ve even been known to “cheat” a little and have added DME before also. But, it’s all good.

EDIT: Changed DMS to DME

I hope you meant DME…adding DMS doesn’t sound like something you would want to add :wink:

I hope you meant DME…adding DMS doesn’t sound like something you would want to add :wink: [/quote]

I edited my post to read DME

Most recipes seem to be written for 65-75% efficiency. Once you tune your system to limit dead volume and get complete conversion, you should expect 80%+ from batch sparging an average gravity beer. 87% is typical batch sparging efficiency on my system, so I would need to subtract 10-17% from a recipe’s grain bill or increase the final volume.

One of Jamil’s recipes, that are usually written for 6 gallons at 70% efficiency, I believe, would make 7 gallons on my system. A BYO recipe, written for 5 gallons at 65% efficiency makes 6.1 gallons.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com