Batch Sparge Question

I’m trying to refine my batch sparge process and have a couple of questions for those of you with more expeirence. After adding the Sparge water how long do you wait until running off? Do you just wait long enough for the grain bed to settle or some set amount of time like 30 minutes? Also, do most people stir the grain after adding the Sparge water or just add then wait? Thanks.

I add the water, stir and then wait 10-15 minutes and then drain. I’m no expert, but I seem to have good efficiency.

Add your sparge water. Stir the crap out of it. I noticed a bump in efficiency with a vigorous stirring versus just mixing. Don’t go crazy, splashing everywhere but get it good and mixed, knock the sugar off the grain. Once I’m done stirring I start the vaurlof right away. I don’t open the valve all the way, but run off slowly. Pour back in the wort but do so as to try and not disturb the grain bed. I repeat this a bunch, it settles the grain bed. Then I start running off into the boil kettle with the ball valve about half open. Works every time.

I used to pour, stir and wait a half hour before running off. Then I cut it down to fifteen minutes. Now I just do this. No stuck sparges. Good efficiency.

Ya don’t need to wait. Just add sparge water stir and start spargung. there is not going to be any efficiency increase waiting.

This. I have done many experiments with wait times from 30 min. to immediate runoff. I have found nothing is gained by waiting, so now I stir in the water, vorlauf, and runoff immediately.

So if you just stir then drain why use a cooler? Other than being a handy sized cheap container. Good thread as iam about to start batch sparging to.

Because you need to let the mash rest for 60+ min. before you sparge. The cooler holds the heat during the mash.

Thanks for all the info everybody. I was waiting 45 minutes after adding the Sparge water before vourlaf and runoff. This will cut at least 30 minutes off my brew day with just as good results.

ok, so just to get it clear you mash with half the water, wait 60mins drain, then sparge with other half of water after stiring no waiting…thanks but my skull is old and thick have watched vids and read about it but trying to bring it down to my level :smiley:

Not quite…mash with whatever ratio you like. For me, that’s between 1.65-2 qt./lb. Measure how much runoff you get from the mash. Subtract that from the amount you want to boil. The answer you get is how much sparge water to use. For details, see www.dennybrew.com

cool thanks…have read your site loads of times just trying to get used to all the terminology…Thanks and sorry for stealing post

Not quite…mash with whatever ratio you like. For me, that’s between 1.65-2 qt./lb. Measure how much runoff you get from the mash. Subtract that from the amount you want to boil. The answer you get is how much sparge water to use. For details, see http://www.dennybrew.com[/quote]

Interesting insights. Up to 2 qt/lb? I’ve been at 1.25 qt/lb, and only occasionally at 1.5. How often do you use 2 qt/lb, and do you notice a difference in your efficiency vs 1.65? Do you notice a difference in efficiency for your ratio versus the more-commonly-cited 1.25 qt/lb value?

I use 2 qt./lb. when it’s appropriate for me to get 1/2 my total boil volume from a smaller grist bill. I try to avoid having to add water before the mash runoff and sometimes that’s the ratio I need to do it. I have seen my efficiency go up a few points due, I believe, to going from a 1.33 average to a 1.65-75 average ratio. IIRC, Kai also cites an efficiency increase from a thinner mash.

[quote=“Denny”]I have seen my efficiency go up a few points due, I believe, to going from a 1.33 average to a 1.65-75 average ratio. IIRC, Kai also cites an efficiency increase from a thinner mash.[/quote]+1 Thinner mash results in a little efficiency boost for me and I can go pretty thin doing a no-sparge routine, easily over 2 qt/lb.

I made a dum-dum on my last brew and only mashed with half the required water. Let’s just say that it hurt the efficiency a lot…