Barleywine Confusion

So I was reading up on the 2008 BJCP Style Guidelines about Barleywines (English vs American) to try to gain an understanding of what makes a Barleywine over any strong ale. It still isnt enirely clear to me.

For example: Why isn’t a Dogfish 120 min IPA considered an American barleywine?

I remember a thread a while back debating the difference between the IIPA and american barleywine. In all honesty it doesn’t really matter, don’t look too much into it unless you are brewing for competition. In my mind an american barleywine is hoppy and stronger than it’s english counterpart. The ingredients, domestic vs. import, are also a difference. I’ve brewed a malty IIPA that I bottled and essentially aged into a american barleywine as well. Strong ale is even more malty and less bitter than a english bw.

IIPA’s are generally drier and are intended to be consumed fresh, when hop character is it its peak. While an American Barleywine can have significant hop presence, it is generally more balanced between malt and hops than an IIPA. Since Barleywines can be aged for several years, that hop character tends to fade a bit by the time the beer is at its peak. Barleywines tend to be a bit fuller-bodied, and can have more caramel malt in them as well.

With that said, there is definitely some overlap between the styles. A beer that is a decent IIPA now, may be a decent Am. Barleywine in a year or two.

[quote=“erockrph”]IIPA’s are generally drier and are intended to be consumed fresh, when hop character is it its peak. While an American Barleywine can have significant hop presence, it is generally more balanced between malt and hops than an IIPA. Since Barleywines can be aged for several years, that hop character tends to fade a bit by the time the beer is at its peak. Barleywines tend to be a bit fuller-bodied, and can have more caramel malt in them as well.

With that said, there is definitely some overlap between the styles. A beer that is a decent IIPA now, may be a decent Am. Barleywine in a year or two.[/quote]

So it sounds like the major distinction is time, whereby an American Barleywine is aged and an IIPA is not. correct?

Sometimes styles overlap. In competition, you can take advantage of this and enter the same beer in multiple categories. For your own consumption, call it what you think makes the most sense to you. That’s what the pros do, they don’t concern themselves with BJCP guidelines, they just try to make good beer people will buy. In my mind, IIPA is more of a hop showcase, and barleywine is more balanced, although it might still be quite hoppy. Where to draw the line is up to you.

Dogfish 120 is particularly extreme example that in my mind isn’t a barleywine OR an IIPA. With its crazy high alcohol, and crazy high final gravity, its barely even still a beer, IMHO. It certainly isn’t fair to compare it to an “ordinary” IIPA.

[quote=“Nate42”]

Dogfish 120 is particularly extreme example that in my mind isn’t a barleywine OR an IIPA. With its crazy high alcohol, and crazy high final gravity, its barely even still a beer, IMHO. It certainly isn’t fair to compare it to an “ordinary” IIPA.[/quote]

I would agree. I think Sam Calagione would have a aneurysm if you mentioned the word ‘style’ to him.

Further, keep in mind that BJCP guidlines are different from the BA guidelines (the latter having a lot more styles!)

http://www.brewersassociation.org/pages ... guidelines

[quote=“Chris-P”]
So it sounds like the major distinction is time, whereby an American Barleywine is aged and an IIPA is not. correct?[/quote]

I think the major distinction is balance. IIPA’s are all about the hops, while American BW’s are more balanced. The time part is secondary - because IIPA’s are hop-centric, you want to consume them as fresh as possible before the hops start to fade. But big beers tend to smooth out over time, so the barleywine will continue to improve over a year or longer as it mellows out. The IIPA will get smoother as well, but that’s not necessarily what you’re shooting for in that style.

A difference in my recipes is color, yellow to dark gold for the IIPA and dark amber close to brown for the barleywine.