Barley wine!

I bottled a NB barley wine about 7 months ago and the flavor is really starting to take off. I do regret that I have taken a few too many samples along the way. I still have about a case and a half. I’m definitely going to get more and give it a year of cellaring.

I used the recommended Neo Britannia yeast.

:cheers:

I envy your patience. I managed a couple of times to keep a few bottles reserved for 4-ish months, but then I’d brew another batch, and end up comparing new to old.

This has been on my to-do list for several years, but the idea of bottling again is enough to keep me from it. One of these days I’ll get around to it though…

Ummm, couldn’t it be kegged?.. :cheers:

I’ve almost done that, but then the idea of giving up a keg for a year of aging has convinced me otherwise.

Brew a smaller batch.

Yep, that’s probably what I’ll end up doing. :cheers:

I drank most of an old ale and decided it was bland. I sat on it for about 8 months and instantly regretted that I drank most of it well before its prime.

I’d like to think this one might be great at the year+ mark.

[quote=“Rookie L A”]

Brew a smaller batch.[/quote]

Then I wouldn’t have two cases. :shock:

I brewed a barley wine one week after my son was born (2/18/12). I opened a bottle here and there over the first 6 months and it was pretty gnarly. I opened another on his 1st birthday and it had definitely aged well. Haven’t touched a bottle since Feb 2013. Very much looking forward to opening another bottle this upcoming Feb. I’m hoping I can keep enough around to share a bottle with him one day.

I’m also thinking of brewing another this year. Maybe starting a tradition of making a Nikko’s Barley Wine every two years… again with hopes that he starts helping with the brewing process.

Not a bad idea. It might be kinda interesting to start doing vertical tastings.

I have an unopened case of 2013 Bigfoot that I’m going to sit on for a few years. A friend of mine seemed to think it peaked at about 6 years.

I also just brewed some Wee Heavy. I cheated with the final dilution to bring it to an even 1.09OG. :twisted: I figure after a pint or two, I’ll be singing, “Dirty deeds, done to sheep!”

[quote=“s2y”][quote=“Rookie L A”]

Brew a smaller batch.[/quote]

Then I wouldn’t have two cases. :shock: [/quote]

Brew two smaller batches. :slight_smile:

[quote=“Rookie L A”]
Brew two smaller batches. :slight_smile: [/quote]

Then I’m spending more time to get the same amount of beer. My wife tries to restrict me from brewing as much as she can. Barley wine has a good enough shelf life that I’m perfectly fine with 2 cases of it. One of these days I might get some 2.5 gallon kegs to keg and bottle each batch.

I typically don’t keg my really high gravity beers since it would take up space in my keg fridge and I simply can’t drink that much beer strong beer.

My wife brews with me. When she thought we were spending too much time on brew days; she insisted we get a wort chiller! How awesome is that?!

Seriously, get your wife involved if you can; Most of brewing is just hanging out and watching a boiling pot; both of which are…

Sorry, I’m being informed that the rest of my post is sexist and nowhere near as funny as I think it is.

[quote=“JMcK”]
My wife brews with me. When she thought we were spending too much time on brew days; she insisted we get a wort chiller! How awesome is that?!

Seriously, get your wife involved if you can; Most of brewing is just hanging out and watching a boiling pot; both of which are…

Sorry, I’m being informed that the rest of my post is sexist and nowhere near as funny as I think it is.[/quote]

LOL.

I wish my wife were interested in music, cycling, brewing, etc. I don’t think my wife has any interests. She’s barely interested in me. :wink: