Barley wine

Hello I am doing jamil barley wine the English barley wine. I listed to the pod cast for this recipe an a few min’s into it he say something about starting the fermentation at 68F an at the last 1/3 of fermentation raise it to 70F… Now where is the last 1/3 of the fermentation is it 3days, 4days, 5 days, I don’t want to keep checking it with a hydrometer for risk of infection

You’re going to have to check the gravity to determine when 1/3 of the fermentables are left. But, you can just let it mostly finish, like to the point the krausen drops, then move the fermenter to a warmer spot, 70F ambient, wait a day, then rouse the yeast and give it at least a couple more days to finish out.

I would let it sit 10 days or so and then let it rise to 70 for 2-3 days. I would not try to rush it. You could let it sit for 3 weeks in primary without problems for this style. You don’t want it to finish too sweet. You can keep checking the gravity, but I don’t like to open up the fermenter until I am ready to keg/bottle. If it has not finished out at that point, I can rouse it and give it more time.

Going from 68 to 70 is a very small adjustment, does it really make any difference?

Going from 68 to 70 is a very small adjustment, does it really make any difference?[/quote]

It may make some difference, but for a high-gravity beer that i want to get the yeast to eat as far down as possible, I’d shoot for the 72-74 range after the bulk of fermentation is done. I generally just rouse and strap on my brew belt after a week.

Going from 68 to 70 is a very small adjustment, does it really make any difference?[/quote]

It may make some difference, but for a high-gravity beer that i want to get the yeast to eat as far down as possible, I’d shoot for the 72-74 range after the bulk of fermentation is done. I generally just rouse and strap on my brew belt after a week.[/quote]

The last barleywine I did was fermented in the lower 60s (ambient, so probably high 60s in carboy). It went from 1.093 to 1.018 in a couple of weeks no problem: S-04.