Ball Valve preference?

I’m setting up a new kettle with a whirlpool, and a ball valve. Is there anyone who has used both the 2 piece and 3 piece ball valves in their system? Which of the two do you prefer and why?

I’ve only ever used the 2 piece, and it easily comes apart for cleaning. The 3 piece just look bulky and overly complicated (as far as taking it apart).

I have had three but all were 2-piece ball valves. The way I look at it, it is subjected to so much heat that it should be something which does not need to be sanitized.

[quote=“Beerginer”]I’m setting up a new kettle with a whirlpool, and a ball valve. Is there anyone who has used both the 2 piece and 3 piece ball valves in their system? Which of the two do you prefer and why?

I’ve only ever used the 2 piece, and it easily comes apart for cleaning. The 3 piece just look bulky and overly complicated (as far as taking it apart).[/quote]

I have a 3 peice in my blichmann and have never taken it apart in over a year of owning it. I, like MullerBrau, don’t really think its necessary since any nasty stuff is going to get nuked by the heat of the burner.

I’m not sure if it’s the way mine is set up, but my ball valve sits about 2" off of the kettle. About six months after installing the ball valve on my kettle I started having infected batches. I finally found the problem in my ball valve, which was jam packed with nasty black goo. I’m not saying you are wrong, but on my kettle the ball valve needs to be taken apart and cleaned.

Maybe I’ll take mine apart and see what it looks like inside. I run soapy water then clean through it after every brew day so I always assumed that in addition to the heat would be enough.

This happened to me too.

Opening mine today. It’s been a while…

I thought I should add that my 2 piece ball valve is not super tight, so I may get more gunk in the body of it than others do. I wish I could post some pictures, but it won’t let me import from my computer.

I took all (4) apart and was disgusted by what I found. They were packed with gunk! And 2 of them get rinsed and back flushed with PBW every time I brew. I think you would be surprised…

[quote=“Loopie Beer”]I took all (4) apart and was disgusted by what I found. They were packed with gunk! And 2 of them get rinsed and back flushed with PBW every time I brew. I think you would be surprised…[/quote] Yep! I think everyone that disassembles a ball valve for the first time is surprised and a little disgusted by what they see. The heat of the boil may kill any micro-organisms that are present, but does nothing to remove the gunk that is in there. You have to take the valve apart to get at it.