Ball Lock Vs. Pin Lock?

Hey everyone,

Does anyone have any recomendations between buying a ball lock keg vs. the pin lock keg? Is one better than the other? I have not kegged any beer yet and dont know much about kegging.

Ha, I just asked this the other day. Got some good answers in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=113655

The impression I got was that the biggest difference is the shape. Ball lock kegs are usually taller and skinnier, pin lock kegs are shorter and stouter. That and pin lock kegs usually don’t have a pressure release valve, which sounds like it makes purging the head space (slightly) more fiddly of an operation.

Unless you want to replace the lid, the lack of a relief valve on the pin lock is a real PITA, especially if you aren’t paying attention and go to bleed the pressure off a keg and hit the wrong post. :wink:

Ha, good to know.

What about the aftermarket pressure release valves? They seem a bit pricey, but do they do the trick?

[quote=“bunderbunder”]What about the aftermarket pressure release valves? They seem a bit pricey, but do they do the trick?[/quote]Haven’t tried one myself - replacing the lid works for me.

A lid from a ball lock keg fits.