Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Ball Lock Keg Types

My homebrew club just purchased 100 used kegs as-is from Pepsi and a few have issues. Several of them have a flat oval lid gasket instead of the O-ring. Does anyone know where replacements can be found?

Several of them have a shorter post on the keg onto which the disconnect is threaded. There is a rubber washer between the poppet and the dip tube due to this short post. Some of these washers are missing or cracked so the poppet can not seal. Any idea on replacements?

Finally, several relief valves have problems. They are bulkhead type (B in this image)
I haven’t seen replacements for these anywhere, although it’s likely just the O-rings where the relief connects to the lid. Any advice on replacement valve or o-ring sizes?

Thanks for any help.
Kevin

Sorry I wasted my time typing…

John

I’m happy you got your O-rings from McMaster…Unfortunately your comment does not help one iota. Like I said, the lid has a flat gasket instead of an O-Ring. There are numerous posts on this and other forums listing the McMaster part #s for the dip tube, lid, and disconnect post O-Rings, but I am asking about the pressure relief O-rings and post-poppet rubber washers.

Kevin

Use a micrometer and calipers that will give you the answers you need.

Several of them have a shorter post on the keg onto which the disconnect is threaded. There is a rubber washer between the poppet and the dip tube due to this short post. Some of these washers are missing or cracked so the poppet can not seal. Any idea on replacements?

I cannot imagine what you getting at here. I have handled all 7 types out there and you always have an o ring under the dip tube and the poppet rests on the diptube itself as different types have longer/ shorter springs/shafts to accommodate post height. If you have an oring/washer under the diptube and above the diptube. Then someone misassebled or rigged to use the incorrect poppet. OR simply assembled the unit wrong at some point and the poppet is correct.

Other than reports of the square gaskets sealing easier, I can’t imagine why a round o-ring wouldn’t work in the lid. You could go to Williamsbrew and get their “over-sized softer o-ring”; they really help seal those leaky lids. Keg Connection has lid valve replacements http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=454

I have several “race track” style lids. They came with the “square” o-rings. The standard round o-rings work just fine on them.

If they don’t work, use the oversize rings from Williams Brewing.

It looks like this might work for the “rubber washer” I was mentioning

http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=490

The one that was busted was rubber, but I found another that was hard plastic like this one.

Thanks to another forum I found that Keg connection has good prices and selection on parts, and The CHI company sells racetrack gaskets and the relief valve orings.(dome top relief valve)

Kevin

As I mentioned. The standard o-rings work perfect on ALL kegs. Racetrack or oval. Save some money and purchase them from McMaster Carr.

Dip Tube O-Rings
5/16" ID x 1/2"OD x 3/32" width
9452K172 BunaN #109
Pkg 100/$1.96 [as of July 2011]

Post O-Rings
7/16" ID x 5/8" OD x 3/32" width
9452K23 BunaN #111
Pkg 100/$2.21 [as of July 2011]

Lid O-Rings
3 1/2" ID x 4" OD x 1/4" width
9452K218 BunaN #417
Pkg 10/$12.50