Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Bad Yeast pouch?

I bought a Wyeast 1214 Belgian Abbey I broke the inner packet about noon today, and the pouch has inflated very little.I noticed the expiration date is May 2013.Should I return the Yeast or try a Yeast starter? Thanks

That should be the manufacture date. Not an expiration date.

http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_productdeta ... oductID=16

The pouch has inflated, so you know the yeast if alive. Make a starter and brew a beer.

I would make a starter and give it a few days. Viability could be a little low and it might take a few days to get going.

If it’s not inflating until it’s taut then you should make a starter

Put it somewhere warm, on top of your refrigerator works well and give it a day or two. The closer to the date on it, the faster it will blow up.

A starter is not a bad idea in any case but the Wyeast activators are not supposed to need one. You can decide after it puffs up.

[quote=“HD4Mark”]
A starter is not a bad idea in any case but the Wyeast activators are not supposed to need one. You can decide after it puffs up.[/quote]

I have found, for 5 gallons, wyeast packs almost always need starters. unless the gravity is below 1.040, 1 packet would be underpitching. I suppose “need” is the key word here, one packet will work, but a starter is highly recommended.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com