Bacteria- How do you know when it’s done?

Fermented a pear cider last Fall and managed to infect it with something when I transferred to the secondary. I decided to just let ride and it’s been sitting there with a pellicle on it for a while. It’s not fuzzy. Does the pellicle go away ever? How the heck do I know when it’s done? I’ll probably end up dumping it but I’m definitely going to taste it before I do.

I’m getting some pressure from one of the band mates to do a sour… I’ll be interested to see what to do… I wonder about the addition of hops… Sneezles61

Think we’re about to step outside our comfort zone.

1 Like

I told you. You guys are late bloomers. We all get here eventually

2 Likes

I’m studying up… Kriek… Sneezles61

1 Like

That’s how it starts. Someone asking why don’t you brew a sour? You don’t drink sours, what’s that git to do with it. I just started brewing them just to learn, then the tasting of course you taste your own then at some breweries to compare. The next thing you know your hooked

1 Like

I have tried a few… but maybe the ones I tried weren’t quite right… They really seemed strong/overwhelming… I had a Krierk, aw… maybe 20 years ago… it was very bubbly, light, had some “zing” to it as I recall… Looks like a 7up, with a beautiful red hue to it… Sneezles61

A kriek is a nice entry level sour. Sours are like any other beer, your not going to like them all.

1 Like

Just like yeast, you know when it’s done with gravity measurements. Have you checked yet?

Nope. What should I be looking for?

Stable gravity a month apart is a safe rule. Since it’s from last fall, it’s probably safe to package. The pellicle won’t disappear, since it forms in the presence of oxygen. But if you cold crash, it tends to sink and you can bottle before it forms again.

I’d definitely try it before dumping. Cider is so dry, there’s a not a lot of food for bacteria, so there’s not much damage to be done. I made a natural fermented cider last fall and let the airlock dry out on accident, and despite the gnarly pellicle it’s one of the best ciders I’ve done.

1 Like

The best cider I made was from the harvest from a Kriek.