Bacon Smoked Red Ale

Hi all!
I,m planning to brew a Bacon smoked red ale this weekend…The instructions call for a partial boil but I am doing a full boil. I,m reducing the hop rate somewhat to compensate. Also I was thinking of dissolving the DME called for in the recipe in some cool water while the grains were steeping. Thopughts? …Cheers Tank :cheers:

Is there a reason for dissolving the DME in cool water rather than adding towards the end of the boil?

I am really intrigued by this kit and cant wait to try it.

I am wondering though, have any of you tried bacon flavor with anything else? I am thinking a Bacon Stout or Porter could be kind of nice.

BB

[quote=“BostonBrewins”]I am really intrigued by this kit and cant wait to try it.

I am wondering though, have any of you tried bacon flavor with anything else? I am thinking a Bacon Stout or Porter could be kind of nice.

BB[/quote]
I,m wondering the same thing my self…wonder where we can get just the bacon extract… :cheers: Tank

The instructions in the kit recommend boiling the dme first then adding the lme toward the end of the boil :cheers: Tank

Dissolving the DME in cool water reduces the amount of “clumping”. Adding DME to your boil kettle near the end of the boil will result in large clumps of DME that you must break up before proceeding. If you dissolve it first in cool water and get it to the consistency of pancake batter, you will get a much better result. At least that is my expereince.

I had been reading other forums and found that after the steep and before you go to boil you can add dme and us a wire-whisk to blend it in. I added a little portion at a time and it worked out great :cheers: Tankie